Page 1 of 1 1
Rebuilding TC
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 6:02 PM
jerryg

Date registered: Dec 1899
Rebuilding TC

Has anyone had a transfer case rebuilt. Is so, where, cost, and results.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 11:21 AM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Rebuilding TC

A mechanic that is capable of servicing a manual transmission should be able to repair this box. I am talking about the 460 T Case here, the VG 80 I think it is called. The service manual to do this will be needed. I handed my TC over to a mechanic I know because it was leaking oil from the input and output flange seals and I didn't have the time to take it apart. It was completely dissasembled and put back together. I was sent incorrect seals by Europa and local seals were used and the thing leaked. Cost was a few hours of time and a lot of seals.

The cost of a rebuild will depend on the nature of the problem. If it is a couple of bearings and these can be sourced locally than it won't be so bad. If it is gears, syncros and serious internals the cost could get exciting. A locally sourced main input radial ball bearing is around $100 in an SKF and through Mercedes that bearing might be double that. The seals aren't so bad, there are two on each shaft. Check with Sean at Eurotruck to see what some of the parts in there cost.

The VG150 in the 463's has a more complex set of internals including the center diff.

What box are you dealing with and what is the issue?

-Dai

Edited by dai 8/12/2006 11:25 AM
#37855 - in reply to #37674
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 12:13 PM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Dai,

It is very good to know that you have been able to find someone who could help with your TC work. I have no current troubles with my TC, but when Dave G. discussed some of the inners of the TC, it felt as though I might one day have to do something really difficult, like build a computer from scratch...or balance to the penny my operating budget. I have several (7 or 8) of Harald's workshop manual CD's, but without opening them, I wonder if the TC is covered in one of those? I need to check.
#37857 - in reply to #37855
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 3:47 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
VG080 variations on a theme

I think our original poster friend is talking about the VG150 transfer case, of which I am completely ignorant. But since the thread has turned bit toward the VG080, I thought I'd point out that there are two distinctly different varieties, and I think maybe another variant on those, though I'm not sure of that last part.

Here are a few significant differences:

1- the left side cover and mounting - an early type of VG080 uses a left side cover that has the mounting points almost one dierctly above the other and then has a steel bracket holding the rubber mounts, and the steel bracket then bolts directly to a mounting plate on the chassis.  A later variant of the VG080 has the mounting points on the left side cover staggered more front-to-rear and those points bolt directly to the rubber mouynts held in flanges welded to the chassis (no steel bracket).  The good thing here is that the covers are interchangeable so if you get a t-case that's different from the one in your truck all you have to do is use the left side cover from your old t-case on your new one to get the new t-case to fit your truck.  The right side mountings are all the same.

2 - Shaft thread/spline diameters - I'm not sure if any of the internal shaft dimensions are different or not, but the splined and threaded portions of the shafts where the flanges mount are different in different vintages of VG080.  Older ones had smaller diameter threaded portions and different splines, and smaller nuts holding the flanges in place, where newer boxes have larger splined, threads, and nuts.  So it follows that the flanges do not interchange from older to newer boxes and vice versa, even though all of these flanges have the same 8-bolt pattern for the drive shafts (I HEAR there were some very early t-cases with 6-bolt flanges, but have never seen one).

3 - Oil pump assembly method - Older VG-080s had a crush-sleeve on the rear output shaft to pre-load the inner (driving) sleeve of the little oil pump that's in there.  This must have proven unreliable beacuse although the crush sleeve is easier to assemble with proper preload, MB later switched to shimming as a method of establishing preload on the output shaft.  It takes a little more care to set up this later style, but I think it's more reliable than the crush sleeve.  The machinist in me never could really trust those.

I'm not sure if all of these changes happened together or if they were staggered at all, but of the four transfer cases that have passed through my hands for various reasons, there were only two varieties, one that had all the "early" atributes, and one that had all the "late" attributes.

Long story short is, make sure the workshop manual you have matches the transfer case in your truck before you hand the lot over to your mechanic.  Or at least be aware that you might need to get more info once things are apart.  I have manuals for both types of t-case if you get in a bind and need some info you don't have.  I even have some spare parts I can't use due to ordering for one type in advance of finding out the box in hand was actually different.

Also be aware that some parts for the early style t-case are no longer available.  That's what ultimately drove me to look for a later style box when portions of my OE early type box gave up the ghost.

-Dave G.

#37888 - in reply to #37855
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 5:29 PM
dai
Expert

Great information Dave. I think by '82 they settled into the late atribute catagory. I saw one early truck with the small flanges on the driveshafts.

Thomas, Harald's manuals cover the T cases. I found exactly my unit in there and made a print out of the Acrobat file. The photographs are superb. I have done this with several of the sections of the workshop. I have one for the front end, T case, transmission etc. I bind them each in a plastic cover and that way I have a paper manual right there to refer to and can make notes and convert torque values on the page. I am afraid I will always be a paper manual guy.

-Dai
#37892 - in reply to #37857
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 8:31 AM
T.Schuhe
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 460 1985 LWB 300GD five speed

Dai and Dave,

As always, I can count on each of you to offer great information. I am now wondering which TC I have. When I ran the VIN against the production numbers by year in the Legend G book some of us bought through Dutch, it appeared my G was produced roughly in June 1980. I don't hear that diesel vs. gas has any influence upon which TC was planted in which G. But, it is good to know that the CD manuals cover both posibilities. Harald once did an exhaustive review of all TC with pictures and numbers. I have that copied for reference in my file. And, I agree Dai, the paper manual is the gold standard for me as well.

Thanks for the input.

#37982 - in reply to #37892
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 2:40 PM
jerryg

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Rebuilding TC

i am asking about the TC for the 96 G320. It is making some noise and a good bit of vibration can be felt on the shifter, especially when using engine braking. It has also had a problem with jumping out of high into neutral, but has not done that recently.

I expect it is at least bearings. It has 180,000 miles

A replacement is very expensive, but may be the lowest risk.
#38022 - in reply to #37674
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 5:11 PM
dai
Expert

Like Dave I know very little about the VG150 that is in your truck. I would give Sean at Eurotruck a call. He might give you a better quote on a replacement and might have some insight on a rebuild. There are other options as well. There was someone parting out a late G on the Clubgwagen classifieds and you might see if one can be found used. Buy one, put it in there and rebuild yours as you have the time. That's what I did after the first try.

-Dai
#38054 - in reply to #38022
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1