Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : The Future of the G

Page 1 of 1 1
The Future of the G
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 2:23 PM
Flying-G

Date registered: Dec 1899
The Future of the G

With SUV sales on the decline and crossover/small SUVs soon to become better sellers than the traditional utility vehicle in the US market, why does Mercedes not capatalize with the G. As I see it, the G has always had a loyal consumer base internationally. These consumers are not typically the luxury class buyers that MBUSA has been trying to attract to their versions of the G-wagen. Europa and subsequently MBUSA capatalized on the cliche G image of an imposing and "blinged" luxury SUV. In reality that image has no prevalence in any other market and even here in the US, as gas prices rise and the era of the SUV is evolving, this image cannot sustain sales of the G-Class. Every year the prospect of new buyers decreases with the current luxury model. So, with the Gs reputation outside of the US as a practical and hard-working utility vehicle, why doesn't MB market this image to the same kind of traditional G-Buyers found in Europe and across the world. The G is a light truck, it is also a flexible model in terms of wheel-base and powertrains as sold outside of the US. In many ways in can be seen as the most developed utility vehicle in the world. Its 25 year history has supplied 63 armies and become an example of a great utility vehicle. I would like to see MBUSA bring the G, LWB and SWB, to the USA with all of the simplictic goodness it offers elsewhere. If an investment is made to sell the car with new tech for the US market, such as flex-fuel capabilities and greater towing capacity, the G would become a prime candidate for those looking for a fuel-efficient work horse with a great "pedigree" and great reliability. A back to basics G, reminicent of the Swiss Worker but for the US market would become a favorite of law-enforcement, construction and contractors, farmers and ranchers. It could even be sold along with the Unimog through Frieghtliner to make it more accesible to the main stream and its particular market. The image of MB as a luxury brand has not suffered in Europe with its commercial trucks and such, and I don't see how it will suffer here. If we can bring what has always been a complling product in its original form to this market, it will represent the brand the we cherish so much. Expose the G and all its capabilities and it will become clear that it is a true contender for the utility market. Add MB expertise and powertrain choices and it would be easy to create a multi-purpose vehicle with a large demographic of potential buyers. I really wish that such steps would be taken to ensure the future of the G-wagen beyond the mostly superficial luxury face lifts of recent years. The G is a G not an off road S-Class.

What are your thoughts?

Just saw most of this stuff has been said...

But why not a Europa like company that importers workers style Gs for the US market independent of MBUSA...

WHY WHY WHY

Edited by Flying-G 8/12/2006 2:31 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 5:40 PM
dai
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: The Future of the G

Yep. Sell them through the Freightliner division.

-Dai
#37893 - in reply to #37878
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 8:30 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
RE: The Future of the G

Dai, rather than Freightliner, I think Sterling would be a better fit. Doesnt sound so industrial. "Sterling G"

Mike
#37915 - in reply to #37878
Author
Posted 8/12/2006 9:12 PM
Flying-G

Date registered: Dec 1899

I think it should be called the Mercedes Benz G-Class...

Just have it on an order basis from a central US lot through freigthliner dealerships. Much more feasible and maintains some brand integrity.
#37921 - in reply to #37915
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 8:13 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

I went to Barloworld Frieghtliner Truck Center the other day in North Little Rock because I was curious at Sprinter vans. I was curious because I wanted to ask the sales consultant if the grill and other parts that would bear the three pointed star could be done.

One of the sales consultants saw my G and said they could order and fit Mercedes Sprinter wheels on my G. I said, "Oh, and how do you know that?" He said he stumbled onto Harold's site (www.4x4abc.com) and saw that someone fitted Sprinter wheels on their G. Of course, I like my wheels and don't need a change. But I was impressed he went on there and did research on the G.
#37980 - in reply to #37878
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 8:32 PM
Roch207
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2005 E320 CDI, 2010 Silverado 2500HD

Unfortunately, it comes down to marketing. The Freightliner dealers are not pushing the Mercedes product line. I was preparing bid specs for a four wheel drive off road brush truck. I kept asking about this : http://www.americanlafrance.com/interior.asp?n=2057&p=1029&s=0 however they kept pushing the Freightliner M2 4x4 chassis. Price was the big factor. We could get an International a heck of a lot cheaper than the Unimog...even with all my begging and pleading.

(3new194.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 3new194.jpg (62KB - 9 downloads)
#38080 - in reply to #37878
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 11:57 PM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)

It's all about image. In the US, Mercedes are luxury cars. In Germany, Mercedes are taxi's. Vanity overrides utility and Mercedes will never import a 461 to the USA for civilian use - EVER.

Although I think it's a great idea to get a G from Freightliner, there's nothing I can do or say to influence corporate decisions. My vote with my dollar is the same as your vote with your dollar; the case is simply not strong enough finacially to green light anything utility related to the G or Mercedes.

Take what's available. Sorry to sound so negative.
#38108 - in reply to #37878
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1