Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : rocker panels for 280ge

Page 1 of 1 1
rocker panels for 280ge
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 8:33 AM
eltonz

Date registered: Dec 1899
rocker panels for 280ge

I know 50 and 51 are the rockers, but wich ones are the inner rockers?
Or do I just need 50 and 51 to fix the rocker problem. TIA

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 10:16 AM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
RE: rocker panels for 280ge

It depends on what you want to replace. Some iner panels are on the previous illustrationin the EPC.  I'm in th eprocess of cutting up a very rusted out G and might be able to get a look at how things are sandwiched together in that area and post a picture.  Let me check it out later today.

-Dave G.

#37992 - in reply to #37983
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 1:01 PM
MazWest
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): E220T, 250GD LWB Wolf
RE: rocker panels for 280ge

From my experience, 50 or 51 are all you'll need. The inner rockers are such thick material that unless they are damaged from an accident or extreme off roading, you should be able to corrosion treat them and allow them to remain in service.
#38007 - in reply to #37983
Author
Posted 8/13/2006 2:08 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A
Here's that picture

You got lucky! I was working on my instrumentation project on the G and as I ws walking by "the hulk" I remembered I owed you a picture so here's a good one of the rocker assembly.  You can see the outer rocker panel outlined in green, sandwiched to the inner one done in yellow.  The floor attaches to the top of the inner rocker.

I was going to go the opposite of MazWest (how's Belgium this time of year?) and say that if outers are rusted thru, the gremmlins are probably getting to the inners, at least the lower seam.  But only getting yours apart will tell.  And truth be told, you'll have a better chance of lining things up (doors shutting properly, etc) if you don't remove the inner rockers.  The best bet is probably to strip away the outers and then spot-repair the inners as required before welding on new outers.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

PS- one of the best things about dismantling a parts car is learning about how it was put together!

Edited by hipine 8/13/2006 2:10 PM

(rocker-construct.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rocker-construct.jpg (40KB - 13 downloads)
#38018 - in reply to #37992
Author
Posted 8/14/2006 8:20 AM
MazWest
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): E220T, 250GD LWB Wolf
RE: Here's that picture

Gee Dave,

You got it all. Even a parts G for strippin' , cuttin' and weldin'.

The weather's fine. (if you're a duck) On the bright side, you can't have good mud without rain.

(The best bet is probably to strip away the outers and then spot-repair the inners as required before welding on new outers.) I agree! I found during my restoration that it's always better to remove the old, evaluate the damage and only then order parts. Otherwise you end up with parts left over or not needed that you can't return.
For those of you in Europe who are attempting the rocker repair, I might have some new inners lying around. Some other stuff too.

Richard
#38144 - in reply to #38018
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1