Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W164 & W166 M-Class : A/C smell

Page 1 of 1 1
A/C smell
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 1:32 PM
Dimitriss

Date registered: Dec 1899
A/C smell

Has anyone else had a problem with the A/C smelling like rotten milk for the first couple of minutes?
I've mentioned it to the SA and he says it's common, but the best thing to do it crank up the heat for 15 minutes every month or so...

do I need a new filter, or is there something I can do about it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 2:24 PM
firstmb

Re: A/C smell

Nope, have not experience the problem. And, how can this be normal. Just one more tactic to stall the process. Try to get the filter replaced under warranty..

Any particuar reason to crank up the heat?
#4738 - in reply to #4701
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 12:13 AM
MikeNJ6

Dimitriss,

Were you nice to them at your last visit? Just a thought....
#5227 - in reply to #4701
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 12:50 AM
firstmb

I am going to try 3rd dealer in 8 months for the service stuff, lets see how this dealer turns out. Till now I am not at all satisfied with the level of service provided by Dealer Service Department.

I am not sure, what happens after the warranty period is completed. But extended warranty for 3500 or be at the mercy of dealers.... too bad
#5272 - in reply to #4701
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 1:43 AM
Dimitriss

MikeNJ6 - 4/28/2006 9:13 PM

Dimitriss,

Were you nice to them at your last visit? Just a thought....

I'm always nice, I only blow up when they give me BS. The Service folks at my local dealer have been very nice and understanding. My beef is with MB, not the folks who have to service my vehicle. I make my money in customer service, so I know first hand how to approach them.

This behavior seems to be typical. Even my older car and the loaner I just picked up had the same problem. This has to do with condensation and water pooling somewhere where it shouldn't, but I don't know if there's a remedy for it. I'll drive by my old Aremenian mechanic and see what he thinks. He tends to have the best ROI solutions out there

Edited by Dimitriss 4/29/2006 1:45 AM
#5310 - in reply to #5227
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 11:37 PM
jean7of9

RE: A/C smell

Dimitriss - 4/28/2006 1:32 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the A/C smelling like rotten milk for the first couple of minutes?
I've mentioned it to the SA and he says it's common, but the best thing to do it crank up the heat for 15 minutes every month or so...
do I need a new filter, or is there something I can do about it?

This is a first for a W164 but happens often with other manufacturers and my BMW 330xi after re-starting the engine under hot humid weather. If the smell comes out when starting a “cold engine” that means there is a possible build up of fungus or dew inside the ducts. One way to get rid of it is to spray an antiseptic (like Lysol) from the outside over the AC intake. Sometimes the antiseptic does the trick and gets rid of the smell
#5735 - in reply to #4701
Author
Posted 4/30/2006 2:01 PM
Dimitriss

jean7of9 - 4/29/2006 8:37 PM

This is a first for a W164 but happens often with other manufacturers and my BMW 330xi after re-starting the engine under hot humid weather. If the smell comes out when starting a “cold engine” that means there is a possible build up of fungus or dew inside the ducts. One way to get rid of it is to spray an antiseptic (like Lysol) from the outside over the AC intake. Sometimes the antiseptic does the trick and gets rid of the smell

The latter reason makes more sense to me. The garage is underground and is damp at times. If the fungus has been growing steadily, it would explain the increased odor and the time it takes for it to subside. It also explains why the SA wanted me to turn up the heat to get rid of the humidity and the fungus. I'll see what happens when I get the car back from service. Since I left it there on Friday before lunch, I'm sure they didn't do anything but park it in the sun for the weekend. Maybe that will fix the problem. I will also add the "heated garage" feature to my dream home
#5878 - in reply to #5735
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 2:32 PM
samhmbz

I would rec. asking the dealer for a "airsept" or "wynns" ac treatment, the dealer performs this on other M.B models for the same concern.
Sam
#6632 - in reply to #4701
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 8:53 PM
AndrewAZ

It is 100% normal. What happens is bacteria grows on the condensation. Depending on where you live it can be bad or none existent. So far living in AZ we use the A/C all the time and I have yet to have been in a car that doesn't smell like crap for the first min the A/C in run. The only thing you can do is 5 mins before you arrive turn off your A/C and that will dry up the condensation. Or like your SA said run the heater for a while but that is only temporary. A great product to buy and use every few weeks is ozone or lysol you can but it at any auto store. Turn on your A/C to vent but dont start your car put your hand below your wipers and you will feel/hear the suction from the vent spry the ozone or lysol and that will kill the bacteria for a while, also after you spray the stuff its a good idea to have the windows down and dont get into your car and let it vent for 5-10 mins.
#6769 - in reply to #4701
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 1:00 AM
Dimitriss

AndrewAZ - 5/1/2006 5:53 PM

It is 100% normal. What happens is bacteria grows on the condensation. Depending on where you live it can be bad or none existent. So far living in AZ we use the A/C all the time and I have yet to have been in a car that doesn't smell like crap for the first min the A/C in run. The only thing you can do is 5 mins before you arrive turn off your A/C and that will dry up the condensation. Or like your SA said run the heater for a while but that is only temporary. A great product to buy and use every few weeks is ozone or lysol you can but it at any auto store. Turn on your A/C to vent but dont start your car put your hand below your wipers and you will feel/hear the suction from the vent spry the ozone or lysol and that will kill the bacteria for a while, also after you spray the stuff its a good idea to have the windows down and dont get into your car and let it vent for 5-10 mins.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll try them when I get my car back...
#6916 - in reply to #6769
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 10:18 AM
samhmbz

Normal..........well it is operational. There are fixes for this for other models that have this as a more common problem. Updated heater boxes and specially coated evap's. The treatments I described are the first steps in the repairs to dry out and coat the heater box and evap w/ cleaning agents ect..
Sam

Edited by samhmbz 5/3/2006 10:18 AM
#7739 - in reply to #6916
Author
Posted 6/1/2006 5:33 PM
ABenzGuy
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): '06 ML350; '97 C280

Have you checked to see if your A/C evaporator is draining; e.g., do you see water dripping under your car when the A/C is on and running? Normally you would see this on either side of the car just forward of the front doors and back of the front tire. You could have a plugged drain that just needs to be cleared. If not, like said previously, you could be growing some fungi in the remaining water that condensed from the evaporator behind your dash and that is what the smell is. It is NOT normal. Doesn't take a lot for service to check the drain and if it is plugged clear it and treat the problem. We have major humidity here is SE Virginia and my cars don't have this problem.

Edited by ABenzGuy 6/1/2006 5:35 PM
#18275 - in reply to #4701
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1