Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W164 & W166 M-Class : Should I send this to MB?

Page 1 of 2 12
Should I send this to MB?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 7:27 PM
Dimitriss

Date registered: Dec 1899
Should I send this to MB?

The ML broke down on my wife today. I lost most of my day driving to find her, call AAA, have the car towed, take it to the dealer and get a loaner.
The problem is similar to one already reported. After starting properly, the car shifts to neutral and refuses to shift back to Drive unless you go through Neutral first. My wife was very lucky this did not happen to her while she was on the freeway. I tried crossing an intersection and it did this on me. You're just standing there like a sitting duck...

All that on my birthday... Thanks MB for the wonderful present...

(IMAGE_00020.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAGE_00020.jpg (17KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 7:48 PM
firstmb

Re: Should I send this to MB?

Thats bad... why AAA, you should have used the SOS button, or also TeleAid should have helped.

Contact MBUSA Dealer Relationship Manager of your area and complain, this will also put Dealer on notice and makes them to fix the problem correctly/thoroughly without cutting corners.

Looks like 7speed transmission is acting up.. time to replace or what..!!
#5023 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 8:06 PM
Dimitriss

firstmb - 4/28/2006 4:48 PM

Thats bad... why AAA, you should have used the SOS button, or also TeleAid should have helped.

Contact MBUSA Dealer Relationship Manager of your area and complain, this will also put Dealer on notice and makes them to fix the problem correctly/thoroughly without cutting corners.

Looks like 7speed transmission is acting up.. time to replace or what..!!

My wife used Teleaid to call them and they sent someone. When he hadn't arrived in 30 minutes, I called the towing service and they said they'd be there in another hour. I then told him I'd call AAA and he said it wouldn't make a difference, he was the only service in that area...
#5048 - in reply to #5023
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 8:14 PM
firstmb

Maybe you need to ask for a refund/compensation for some kind as Tele Aid was not able to help. Tele Aid is around 250$ and if they cannot provide service in timely manner, then it is too bad.

Will have to think twice before renewing the service in June.. Feel sorry for all your problems and that too on a bday..
#5058 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 10:17 PM
Wolfgang

RE: Should I send this to MB?

Dimitriss - 4/28/2006 4:27 PM

The ML broke down on my wife today. I lost most of my day driving to find her, call AAA, have the car towed, take it to the dealer and get a loaner.
The problem is similar to one already reported. After starting properly, the car shifts to neutral and refuses to shift back to Drive unless you go through Neutral first. My wife was very lucky this did not happen to her while she was on the freeway. I tried crossing an intersection and it did this on me. You're just standing there like a sitting duck...

All that on my birthday... Thanks MB for the wonderful present... :angry:

Happy bday! Sorry to hear this.

Do you have the software update and new valvebody already according to this bulletin?

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1137744000000_113921280000...

#5127 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 10:20 PM
Wolfgang

Re. TeleAid. In Europe Mercedes discontinued TeleAid a year or two ago...

#5129 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 12:24 AM
Dimitriss

I took the time to write a letter and faxed it to the Service folks at my dealer and the Regional Service manager in Los Angeles. The simple truth is that I've visited the service desk at MB more times (5 in 9 months) than I've visited my dentist and that's simply not right for a new $50k vehicle. I can give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to little things and small electrical problems, but when the vehicle loses power to its wheels for no apparent reason, that is a safety issue and makes me very uncomfortable. I don't even want to imagine what could have happened if I was on the freeway.

Regarding the TeleAid system, if (according to the towing service) there is no difference between MB Road Assistance and AAA, I'll take AAA. On the other hand, I like the SOS feature and would like to have the peace of mind of having it, even if it costs me $250 a year. If I understand correctly, this feature goes away if you don't buy the TeleAid renewal. Let me know if I misunderstood.

I'm planning to go in tomorrow to exchange the loaner for an MB vehicle (they gave me a Buick). I'll mention the bulletin Wolfgang suggests. On one of my previous visits, I asked the SA to check for the downshift issue because it was harsh. The paperwork I received states "Short Test, No codes, Checked Adaptations, all within range" but does not mention if they performed the software flash.

Again, I'm geeky enough to want to learn more about my vehicle, even read the bulletins as an FYI, but do I have to worry if they actually did the work to my car? C'mon...

(makes me sad to be part German)

Edited by Dimitriss 4/29/2006 12:24 AM
#5240 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 12:48 AM
firstmb

Regarding, TeleAid, I just got the renewal letter today in mail and it simply says that I am not suppose to do anything but my CC will be charged for 250$. Guess, I had given them this information during buying process.

I am planning to dealer/teleaid customer service tomorrow and get the details about this.
#5268 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 9:16 AM
Wolfgang

Dimitriss - 4/28/2006 9:24 PM

Again, I'm geeky enough to want to learn more about my vehicle, even read the bulletins as an FYI, but do I have to worry if they actually did the work to my car? C'mon...

Then I assume you didn't have the updated software version yet. That's good because I think it might fix this issue.
#5415 - in reply to #5240
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 9:18 AM
Wolfgang

firstmb - 4/28/2006 9:48 PM

Regarding, TeleAid, I just got the renewal letter today in mail and it simply says that I am not suppose to do anything but my CC will be charged for 250$. Guess, I had given them this information during buying process.

That's the normal procedure. MBUSA's kickback increases the higher the renewal rate...

#5416 - in reply to #5268
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 1:06 AM
Dimitriss

The SA called me this afternoon, saying he couldn't replicate the problem and that the code the transmission sent was just a warning that did not justify any work on the vehicle. He also said that his techs took the car on a 50 mile trip and could not replicate the problem.

I repeated the symptoms, requested a written response to my letter and also mentioned the TSB material I have already seen (Thanks a bunch to Wolfgang and the others). He seemed to take me a bit more seriously once I mentioned the TSBs, the defective valve assembly, the software version and the fact that this is a safety concern for my family, so he's "going to go back to talk to his shop foreman and get back to me tomorrow". Let's see what happens now.

I know one thing for sure. Coming to these forums has made me a more informed MB owner. A big "thank you" to the MB collective out there...
#6919 - in reply to #5416
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 7:30 AM
ttaleric

This is what gets me...

The SA called me this afternoon, saying he couldn't replicate the problem and that the code the transmission sent was just a warning that did not justify any work on the vehicle. He also said that his techs took the car on a 50 mile trip and could not replicate the problem.

And without that TSB he would of just pushed you out that door.

The dealer here in Raleigh, NC tried to do the same thing to me. The SA called me and told me that the lower hose clamp on the radiator (return for the power steering) for the W163 was not for recall nor SC. But I went to http://www.startekinfo.com/ and showed her otherwise. It is good to be a informed customer, and I hope they fix this problem for you.

-joe
#6991 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 8:08 PM
Ed Mclass
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 1958 180a, 2010 GLK, 2000 G 500, 2005 SLK 350

Heads up on TeleAid. Be sure to discontinue when you sell your MB! Someone in Florida requested help and the service rep from TeleAid called me! I had traded the car six months prior! Just call the roadside help number. They can tell you who can help if they cannot send someone at once. 1-800-367-6372 US or 1-800-387-0100 CANADA.
#7353 - in reply to #6991
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 1:12 AM
Dimitriss

Dimitriss - 5/1/2006 10:06 PM

I repeated the symptoms, requested a written response to my letter and also mentioned the TSB material I have already seen (Thanks a bunch to Wolfgang and the others). He seemed to take me a bit more seriously once I mentioned the TSBs, the defective valve assembly, the software version and the fact that this is a safety concern for my family, so he's "going to go back to talk to his shop foreman and get back to me tomorrow". Let's see what happens now.

I know one thing for sure. Coming to these forums has made me a more informed MB owner. A big "thank you" to the MB collective out there...

I got the car back today. They replaced the transmission valve assembly (including 16 screws, as per the paperwork), upgraded the software to the latest version, as well as the "164 plate and control arm" campaign. Since the car was left out in the California sun over the weekend, any condensation in the A/C evaporated so I got the standard "Could not replicate problem" for my smelly A/C. They did however mention the ozone trick and the 30 minute heater one. I'll try them and see how effective they are.

I also received the blanket in the mail, dunno what I'll do with it in CA, but my wife already snatched it up

For the time being, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve my problems.
#7638 - in reply to #6919
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 10:34 AM
Wolfgang

Dimitriss - 5/2/2006 10:12 PM

I got the car back today. They replaced the transmission valve assembly (including 16 screws, as per the paperwork), upgraded the software to the latest version, as well as the "164 plate and control arm" campaign. Since the car was left out in the California sun over the weekend, any condensation in the A/C evaporated so I got the standard "Could not replicate problem" for my smelly A/C. They did however mention the ozone trick and the 30 minute heater one. I'll try them and see how effective they are.

I also received the blanket in the mail, dunno what I'll do with it in CA, but my wife already snatched it up

For the time being, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will solve my problems.

Good things worked out. Since we have not mentioned the plate and control arm campaign yet, here's some info.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1141200000000_114473880000...
#7750 - in reply to #7638
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 10:38 AM
Wolfgang

Plate campaign

And a pic

(plate_campaign_01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments plate_campaign_01.jpg (40KB - 3 downloads)
#7754 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 11:15 AM
firstmb

Wolfgang, thanks for the info.

My VIN is part of that range, guess one more trip to Dealer.

I had reported the steering vibration to my Dealer/SA, and I was told they could not replicate and it is a normal behavior.... and here comes this campaign.
#7767 - in reply to #7754
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 8:52 PM
Dimitriss

Unfortunately, less than a month after the car was "repaired" it showed the exact same behavior. This time, I was exiting a parking lot and getting ready to cross one lane to join the opposite one. The car shifted into neutral, just as I had joined traffic and had to accelerate. Two vehicles coming up behind me had to swerve to avoid hitting me. Lucky for me, there was a median lane, so they used it to go around me.

I'm starting to look into lemon laws and will document everyting in preparation. Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced my service manual that talks about lemon laws and the address to which to send all documentation. I'd appreaciate it if someone could either scan or simply post the address to which all communication should be sent.

If I'm reading the lemon law correctly, I have the right to request a refund/replacement after the second time the dealer repairs my vehicle, since this is a safety issue. At this point, I'm apprehensive and I don't know how long it's going to take before I feel safe to drive on a freeway again. This just sucks!
#14846 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:46 AM
phoenix44

What drives me crazy, is that if I mention a TSB to a dealer in Canada, they tell me that U.S. TSBs are not valid here. Like, that ML is assembled in the U.S. Of course U.S. TSBs should be recognized in Canada!!!
#15013 - in reply to #4999
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 11:18 AM
Wolfgang

Dimitriss - 5/21/2006 5:52 PM

Unfortunately, less than a month after the car was "repaired" it showed the exact same behavior. This time, I was exiting a parking lot and getting ready to cross one lane to join the opposite one. The car shifted into neutral, just as I had joined traffic and had to accelerate. Two vehicles coming up behind me had to swerve to avoid hitting me. Lucky for me, there was a median lane, so they used it to go around me.

Ah, sorry to hear that.

It might be caused by a momentary undervoltage or momentary loss of communication on the CAN-Bus. The transmission then senses something is out of whack and goes into limp home. The problem is that this type of intermittant behaviour is very difficult to diagnose unless it sets some fault codes or fails hard. For example if might be caused by a loose connector somewhere on the CAN C bus, like a loose ESP controller connector, or a loose connection to the transmission stalk at the steering wheel. Other places to check are rear SAM power connections, loose fuses or relays. Also had a look at recent TSBs and these might be related:

Issued: Tue, Nov 29, 2005
TSB Number: T-07-00-56
Title: Engine Controls - Engine Hesitation and or Stalling on Start-Up
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1133251200000_113636160000...

Issued: Thu, Mar 16, 2006
TSB Number: T-27-50-60A
Title: Auto Trans - Limp Home Mode and or DTCs 2200, 2201, 2767, 2768
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-Benz/1142496000000_114344640000...
#15023 - in reply to #14846
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12