Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Glovebox dampener broke 6 times!

Page 1 of 1 1
Glovebox dampener broke 6 times!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 9:46 AM
daj

Date registered: Dec 1899
Glovebox dampener broke 6 times!

Anyone else found that the glovebox dampening mechanism breaks very easily?  My dealer has had to refit a little loop 6 times now and I hardly ever open the glovebox.  Without the dampening mechanism the glovebox feels cheap and justs drops quickly open with a thud, instead of the nice fluid motion when the dampening works correctly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 9:49 AM
Ynot

RE: Glovebox dampener broke 6 times!

daj - 4/29/2006 7:46 AM Anyone else found that the glovebox dampening mechanism breaks very easily?  My dealer has had to refit a little loop 6 times now and I hardly ever open the glovebox.  Without the dampening mechanism the glovebox feels cheap and justs drops quickly open with a thud, instead of the nice fluid motion when the dampening works correctly.

Sorry to hear about your problem, mine works just fine.

#5430 - in reply to #5428
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 9:54 AM
daj

Ynot - 4/29/2006 2:49 PM

daj - 4/29/2006 7:46 AM Anyone else found that the glovebox dampening mechanism breaks very easily?  My dealer has had to refit a little loop 6 times now and I hardly ever open the glovebox.  Without the dampening mechanism the glovebox feels cheap and justs drops quickly open with a thud, instead of the nice fluid motion when the dampening works correctly.

Sorry to hear about your problem, mine works just fine.

Just a thought and know it should not make any difference, but do you have the 6CD changer in your glovebox?

Edited by daj 4/29/2006 9:55 AM
#5432 - in reply to #5430
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 10:05 AM
ianx, manchester

daj - 4/29/2006 2:46 PM

Anyone else found that the glovebox dampening mechanism breaks very easily?  My dealer has had to refit a little loop 6 times now and I hardly ever open the glovebox.  Without the dampening mechanism the glovebox feels cheap and justs drops quickly open with a thud, instead of the nice fluid motion when the dampening works correctly.

I think this is the first time i've ever heard of this fault.
6 times suggests to me that more than the dampner is at fault.

get them to replace the entire glove box unit!
accept nothing less!

#5433 - in reply to #5428
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 10:14 AM
Ynot

daj - 4/29/2006 7:54 AM
Ynot - 4/29/2006 2:49 PM

Just a thought and know it should not make any difference, but do you have the 6CD changer in your glovebox?

No, I don't have the 6CD, I'm glad I don't b/c all my manuals, insurance, registration fits perfectly in the glovebox.
#5435 - in reply to #5432
Author
Posted 4/29/2006 12:11 PM
daj

ianx, manchester - 4/29/2006 3:05 PM
daj - 4/29/2006 2:46 PM Anyone else found that the glovebox dampening mechanism breaks very easily?  My dealer has had to refit a little loop 6 times now and I hardly ever open the glovebox.  Without the dampening mechanism the glovebox feels cheap and justs drops quickly open with a thud, instead of the nice fluid motion when the dampening works correctly.
I think this is the first time i've ever heard of this fault. 6 times suggests to me that more than the dampner is at fault. get them to replace the entire glove box unit! accept nothing less!

I was speaking with the service manager last week about other faults, and damage caused to my alloys when they were in for a set of front tyres, and he said it is the first time he has heard of it on the SLK, but had heard about the issue a few times on the C-Class.  You are right though, it is about time to get a new glovebox!  Its got to go in for its C service next week, lets see what happens.

#5469 - in reply to #5433
Author
Posted 4/30/2006 11:36 AM
GG AD 600

My glovebox dampener broke last month. I haven´t used the box that much but it happened. Had the whole box changed and now it´s O.K. again. I´m wondering how long the new one will last.

Andy

Edited by GG AD 600 4/30/2006 11:37 AM
#5823 - in reply to #5469
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1