Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Bad Battery, Alternator or not used enough?

Page 1 of 1 1
Bad Battery, Alternator or not used enough?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 12:04 PM
Mklasse

Date registered: Dec 1899
Bad Battery, Alternator or not used enough?

I have a 2002 ML320 with 41,500km (around 25,700 miles). I have just replaced the original battery that came with the car last November 2006, so it lasted about 4 years. I was amazed by that since my other car's OEM battery (this is my first Benz) usually only lasted around 2 years.

My daily driver is the Corolla, the ML is used now and then (at least once a week) or when to go out of town. Last time we drove the car was February 18th, 2007 and it was fine, no sign of battery weakness whatsoever. Last saturday (Feb 24th), however, the car refused to start, the interior light dims and eventually went out. I took the battery out, and it was undercharged. So it was only about 3-4 months since the new battery, and its undercharged already?

Is it sign of bad alternator, bad battery, or I just not drive it often enough?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 12:29 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Bad Battery, Alternator or not used enough?

You're not driving it enough. If you let these cars sit for a period of a few days to a week, they drain the battery. I'm not saying that it should be normal for the vehicle to drain the battery but many owners have this trouble when the car sits for a while. Just get in it and crank it every two to three days. i don't think there is anything wrong with your battery or alternator.
#65332 - in reply to #65330
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 1:12 PM
Darkmann

Mklasse - 2/27/2007 12:04 PM

....I have just replaced the original battery that came with the car last November 2006, ... Last saturday (Feb 24th), however, the car refused to start, the interior light dims and eventually went out. I took the battery out, and it was undercharged. So it was only about 3-4 months since the new battery, and its undercharged already?

Could be both. However, no battery, regardless of maker, should last only 3-4 months. Batteries are warrantied for a lot more than 4 months. And like most modern vehicles, replacing the ML's battery requires resetting a whole bunch of codes, otherwise things may not work as you think they should. If a MB service didn't replace the battery, then I suggest you call MB roadside assistance - it's free (except for your call if you use personal phone) and hope they bail you out. If MB replaced the battery, that's a no-brainer - call MB roadside to resolve the issue. Otherwise, here's what I'd do if I was in your shoes:

1 - Take the battery back to wherever you got it from and ask for a replacement battery. If your replacement batteries are OEM batteries, just call roadside assistance and they'll help you resolve the problem. If you didn't get OEM replacement then
2 - Take the battery back to wherever you got it from and ask for a replacement battery.
3 - If the new replacement battery doesn't resolve the issue, then you don't have a battery problem. Call Mb roadside for proper diagnostics. You could have an alternator issue but I really doubt that. I have the feeling your problem is much less complicated than it looks.
#65336 - in reply to #65330
Author
Posted 2/27/2007 1:56 PM
Mklasse

Darkmann - 2/28/2007 12:12 AM
Mklasse - 2/27/2007 12:04 PM

....I have just replaced the original battery that came with the car last November 2006, ... Last saturday (Feb 24th), however, the car refused to start, the interior light dims and eventually went out. I took the battery out, and it was undercharged. So it was only about 3-4 months since the new battery, and its undercharged already?

Could be both. However, no battery, regardless of maker, should last only 3-4 months. Batteries are warrantied for a lot more than 4 months. And like most modern vehicles, replacing the ML's battery requires resetting a whole bunch of codes, otherwise things may not work as you think they should. If a MB service didn't replace the battery, then I suggest you call MB roadside assistance - it's free (except for your call if you use personal phone) and hope they bail you out. If MB replaced the battery, that's a no-brainer - call MB roadside to resolve the issue. Otherwise, here's what I'd do if I was in your shoes: 1 - Take the battery back to wherever you got it from and ask for a replacement battery. If your replacement batteries are OEM batteries, just call roadside assistance and they'll help you resolve the problem. If you didn't get OEM replacement then 2 - Take the battery back to wherever you got it from and ask for a replacement battery. 3 - If the new replacement battery doesn't resolve the issue, then you don't have a battery problem. Call Mb roadside for proper diagnostics. You could have an alternator issue but I really doubt that. I have the feeling your problem is much less complicated than it looks.

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the battery back to the shop, and it was undercharged. They said the battery is fine and recharge it. The car is fine for now.

The battery is not OEM, since the dealer quoted me for US$600 for the OEM MB battery.. which I read somewhere in this forum that it only cost $150 in US. No wonder when I look at other 4-5yo+ MBs, most of them is not using OEM battery, the OEM is overpriced here, and the dealer even sells and suggest the customer to use aftermarket batteries.   

I just hope it's just because I didn't drive it often enough. I'll drive it more often like cmitch said and we'll see if the battery still give me any trouble.. i hope not..

#65338 - in reply to #65336
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1