Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Auto box trouble

Page 1 of 1 1
Auto box trouble
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 2:29 AM
colin488

Date registered: Dec 1899
Auto box trouble

Hi, I've got a 2002 facelift ml 270 with brabus D4 upgrade. The Car is great apart from some slipping in the auto box, on full or 3/4 throttle when it changes gear it appears to slip and will rev to 4,500 rpm for a split second. also it sometimes seems to take a while to engage reverse. My local dealer thought it was the electrohydraulic control unit and wanted £1200.00 to change it but wasn't sure. An Indie gearbox man says it's water getting into the gearbox through the radiator which has caused corrosion / wear. My guy who serviced it changed the gearbox oil and noticed that it was very black/burned and there was some metal swarf in the sump. Also the gear lever seems to get quite warm on a long run. Any ideas??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 8:59 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Auto box trouble

Oh, SH&^! I would change the oil again and the filter, too. But it looks like you've got a bad tranny.
#65431 - in reply to #65402
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 9:29 AM
roadsession

colin488 - 2/28/2007 2:29 AM

Hi, I've got a 2002 facelift ml 270 with brabus D4 upgrade. The Car is great apart from some slipping in the auto box, on full or 3/4 throttle when it changes gear it appears to slip and will rev to 4,500 rpm for a split second. also it sometimes seems to take a while to engage reverse. My local dealer thought it was the electrohydraulic control unit and wanted £1200.00 to change it but wasn't sure. An Indie gearbox man says it's water getting into the gearbox through the radiator which has caused corrosion / wear. My guy who serviced it changed the gearbox oil and noticed that it was very black/burned and there was some metal swarf in the sump. Also the gear lever seems to get quite warm on a long run. Any ideas?? :banghead:

try changing transmission fluid and filter...
#65433 - in reply to #65402
Author
Posted 2/28/2007 9:43 AM
Marcelc

colin488 - 2/28/2007 7:29 AM

Hi, I've got a 2002 facelift ml 270 with brabus D4 upgrade. The Car is great apart from some slipping in the auto box, on full or 3/4 throttle when it changes gear it appears to slip and will rev to 4,500 rpm for a split second. also it sometimes seems to take a while to engage reverse. My local dealer thought it was the electrohydraulic control unit and wanted £1200.00 to change it but wasn't sure. An Indie gearbox man says it's water getting into the gearbox through the radiator which has caused corrosion / wear. My guy who serviced it changed the gearbox oil and noticed that it was very black/burned and there was some metal swarf in the sump. Also the gear lever seems to get quite warm on a long run. Any ideas?? :banghead:

Someone else with a Brabus modified 270 had a tranny failure, it maybe that the extra power is too much for the gearbox?

#65437 - in reply to #65402
Author
Posted 3/1/2007 3:30 AM
john

colin488 - 2/28/2007 7:29 AM

I had a similar problem with my ML270.....changing the oil and filter didnt help......i eventually fitted a new tranny as the 'flare' (between 3rd and 4th change) became progressively worse.

The gearlever would probably be getting warm due to the heater ducting pipes inside the centre console which supply heated/cooled air out of the rear of the console

Regarding 'water in the gearbox'......this is a known problem but only applies to certain mercedes saloon models where the engine radiator and the tranny oil cooling radiator were combined as one unit, some of these units were failing and allowing the fluids to mix....(the radiator was later modified)
The ML tranny oil cooler is a totally separate, stand alone unit from the radiator and is mounted just in front of and below the radiator.
#65536 - in reply to #65402
Author
Posted 3/1/2007 5:17 AM
colin488

I've got an aftermarket warranty that will allegedley cover any mechanical issues but not electrical so I think I'll book it in for a strip down and hope it's mechanical and covered by the warranty. The only thing that concerns me is whether it's to do with the electrohydraulic unit because I know that's not covered. Has anyone had to replace this unit if so what are the symptoms?
#65541 - in reply to #65402
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1