Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Squeakey!!

Page 1 of 1 1
Squeakey!!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 6:00 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Squeakey!!

I think I hear some suspension creaking/squeaking going over bumps. I remember this was a problem on earlier models?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/10/2007 10:36 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Squeakey!!

Would it be a shock if I suggested that it was shocks?
#66504 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 7:16 AM
Marcelc

Or it could be torsion bar suspension mounts.

Is the squeaking coming from the front or the rear?
#66533 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 3/11/2007 1:22 PM
AsianML

Re: Squeakey!!

I can't tell. I'll have to tell you later.
#66569 - in reply to #66533
Author
Posted 3/12/2007 8:07 AM
phoenix44

Marcelc - 3/11/2007 7:16 AM

Or it could be torsion bar suspension mounts.

Is the squeaking coming from the front or the rear?

I agree with Marcelc about the bushings for the torsion bar. If the noise is coming from the rear it would likely be the struts...unfortunately more expensive than the front bushings.
#66669 - in reply to #66533
Author
Posted 3/13/2007 11:10 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2006 ML 350

l'm having the same problem..l just has my front sway bar bushings replaced, the larger inner ones and the outer ones, as well as the front control arm bushings..but it still there..l gave it a good washing underneath, (thanks to "P's" advice..) but it is still there...The noise is from the front, and it is a squeaking sound over bumps...Does this sound like "shocks"...........
#66886 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 3/14/2007 12:43 AM
sin0822

mine does it occasionally, well only at certain steep bumps and i coudlnt give less of a damn because if i go slow i dont hear them and my ride isnt any different.
#66889 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 3/14/2007 7:11 AM
phoenix44

C-Rod - 3/13/2007 11:10 PM

l'm having the same problem..l just has my front sway bar bushings replaced, the larger inner ones and the outer ones, as well as the front control arm bushings..but it still there..l gave it a good washing underneath, (thanks to "P's" advice..) but it is still there...The noise is from the front, and it is a squeaking sound over bumps...Does this sound like "shocks"........... :confuzed:

Tie-rods (new moniker.. ) control arms? it could be the shocks, but I think it would be more likley an attachment point rather than then shocks themselves......

C, you could try spraying w-d40 on the attachment points of the shocks, tie-rods and control arms and see if that fixes it. to localize what is causing it, your may want to try one doing this one component at a time...
#66906 - in reply to #66886
Author
Posted 3/14/2007 3:34 PM
AsianML

It seems like the sound is coming from the rears. I'll have to do a more thorough look over this weekend.
#66920 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 3/15/2007 3:54 PM
AsianML

Yup, I've determined that the creaking noise is coming from the rear. What can I do/should do?
#67031 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 3/15/2007 6:02 PM
phoenix44

AsianML - 3/15/2007 3:54 PM

Yup, I've determined that the creaking noise is coming from the rear. What can I do/should do?

My Guess, rear struts.... trusted dealer or a trusted indy.
#67055 - in reply to #67031
Author
Posted 3/15/2007 6:50 PM
AsianML

phoenix44 - 3/15/2007 6:02 PM
AsianML - 3/15/2007 3:54 PM Yup, I've determined that the creaking noise is coming from the rear. What can I do/should do?
How much and how long can I go without taking it to a dealer? It's going to be a VERY busy week (month rather).
#67062 - in reply to #67055
Author
Posted 3/15/2007 7:32 PM
phoenix44

AsianML - 3/15/2007 6:50 PM

phoenix44 - 3/15/2007 6:02 PM
AsianML - 3/15/2007 3:54 PM Yup, I've determined that the creaking noise is coming from the rear. What can I do/should do?
How much and how long can I go without taking it to a dealer? It's going to be a VERY busy week (month rather).

It cost me about 1K at the dealer. I would imagine that you are probably o.k. for a few months (DISCLAIMER HERE), or until it drives you 'round the bend.

Edited by phoenix44 3/15/2007 7:37 PM
#67072 - in reply to #67062
Author
Posted 3/18/2007 10:39 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2006 ML 350

phoenix44 - 3/14/2007 7:11 AM

l'm having the same problem..l just has my front sway bar bushings replaced, the larger inner ones and the outer ones, as well as the front control arm bushings..but it still there..l gave it a good washing underneath, (thanks to "P's" advice..) but it is still there...The noise is from the front, and it is a squeaking sound over bumps...Does this sound like "shocks"........... :confuzed:

Tie-rods (new moniker.. ) control arms? it could be the shocks, but I think it would be more likley an attachment point rather than then shocks themselves......

C, you could try spraying w-d40 on the attachment points of the shocks, tie-rods and control arms and see if that fixes it. to localize what is causing it, your may want to try one doing this one component at a time...

Very creative...my fellow "Canuck"...........As for the sound..l agree..l don't think it would be the shocks..they are not leaking and they are just tubes filled with gas......As for the tie-rods...it could be the bushing for them..maybe even the bushing at the bottom of the shocks....does that sound possible???????????
#67382 - in reply to #66906
Author
Posted 3/19/2007 7:09 AM
phoenix44

C-Rod - 3/18/2007 10:39 PM

Any bushing is possible. If you ca get it up on a hoist, you could also check for play in the front end...including the wheel bearings,

Very creative...my fellow "Canuck"...........As for the sound..l agree..l don't think it would be the shocks..they are not leaking and they are just tubes filled with gas......As for the tie-rods...it could be the bushing for them..maybe even the bushing at the bottom of the shocks....does that sound possible???????????
#67410 - in reply to #67382
Author
Posted 3/19/2007 7:14 AM
phoenix44

phoenix44 - 3/19/2007 7:09 AM

C-Rod - 3/18/2007 10:39 PM

Any bushing is possible. If you ca get it up on a hoist, you could also check for play in the front end...including the wheel bearings,

Ooops..I put my quote in your quote....does that mean we have to get married

Any bushing is possible. If you ca get it up on a hoist, you could also check for play in the front end...including the wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends etc. Remotely possible, body mounts?

#67412 - in reply to #67410
Author
Posted 4/16/2007 6:57 PM
AsianML

^^^^LMAO

It's warming up a bit, and I haven't heard a squeak since...
#70344 - in reply to #66470
Author
Posted 4/16/2007 10:26 PM
Darkmann

AsianML - 4/16/2007 6:57 PM

^^^^LMAO

It's warming up a bit, and I haven't heard a squeak since...

Let's get one thing clear: is it a "cracking" sound or just squeaking. If it's cracking, most likely torsion bar bushing. Lubing will help but that's just a temp. solution. If it's squeaking (and I think that's what it is since it seems to go away with warmer temps), then here's what I think is happening: The ML's rear control arm uses polyurethane bushings between the inner wishbone (the fat "A" looking piece) and the rear torsion bar. There are a total of four bushings (two sandwitch the torsion bar up top and the other two sandwitch the wishbone at the bettom; in between is a metal sleeve; they are the only white colored bushings in the rear suspension and you can see them by just taking a look towards the inside of the rear tires). I have used Poly-U bushings in my other cars and what MB doesn't tell us (and I'm really amazed at this!!!!) is that over time, if these bushings aren't lubed regularly, they may get brittle and crack, or even disintegrate. I lube mine everytime I get under the truck. Since the noise seems to vary with temps, it's very likely these bushings are the problem. Grab the truck by the roof rack and rock back and forth. You should hear the squeak. Get a can of lithium spray grease and spray both top and bottom bushing sets. Try rocking the truck again. If it's the bushings, the squeak should disappear. Unfortunately, in my experience with poly-u bushings, lubing is still only a temporary solution once they start to give, so even if the noise goes away, there's no guarantee it will not come back over time. But try it anyway.

Edited by Darkmann 4/16/2007 10:30 PM
#70364 - in reply to #70344
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1