Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : 2 questions about 99 ML430

Page 1 of 1 1
2 questions about 99 ML430
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/24/2007 2:15 AM
milltek
New user

Date registered: Mar 2007

2 questions about 99 ML430

Hi,

Just started reading this forum. I really like the higher technical content. Anyway, I have 2 issues;

Is the little LCD display that shows fuel average etc, in the overhead console meant to be backlit at night? If it is, how do you replace the bulb(?).

Our reverse lights no longer come on when reverse is engaged. Is there a way to adjust something to fix this?

Thanks,

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/24/2007 8:33 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: 2 questions about 99 ML430

milltek - 3/24/2007 1:15 AM Hi, Just started reading this forum. I really like the higher technical content. Anyway, I have 2 issues; Is the little LCD display that shows fuel average etc, in the overhead console meant to be backlit at night? If it is, how do you replace the bulb(?). Our reverse lights no longer come on when reverse is engaged. Is there a way to adjust something to fix this? Thanks, Jim

The back light for the LCD is probably a bulb, but I've never changed one, so I haven't an idea how you get to it. As far as the back-up lights, I would check fuses first. If they're okay, it may need a simple adjustment in the shift lever or linkage (I think there's a switch, as with most cars). This may be something the stealer has to do. 

#67881 - in reply to #67849
Author
Posted 3/24/2007 9:56 AM
milltek
New user

Date registered: Mar 2007

I'd really rather not go to a dealership. Right now I'm hoping the 'clicking ' from the transfer case goes away - I just changed the fluid - so I'm trying to put cash aside in case I have to replace it. Surely someone musy know how to do these fixes?

Jim
#67886 - in reply to #67849
Author
Posted 3/24/2007 2:31 PM
Marcelc

Date registered: Dec 1899

milltek - 3/24/2007 7:15 AM

Hi,

Just started reading this forum. I really like the higher technical content. Anyway, I have 2 issues;

Is the little LCD display that shows fuel average etc, in the overhead console meant to be backlit at night? If it is, how do you replace the bulb(?).

Our reverse lights no longer come on when reverse is engaged. Is there a way to adjust something to fix this?

Thanks,

Jim

The bulb in the LCD display dies and is non-replaceable, the normal fix is to buy another trip computer; given that it is a throw-away part I would suggest that you might try and fix it yourself.

I don't know where the switch is for the reversing lights but I would check that both bulbs are OK before doing too much research.

There is a fuse box in the engine compartment AND one by the driver's left foot, in case you want to check fuses first.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
#67901 - in reply to #67849
Author
Posted 3/25/2007 12:25 AM
questwest

Date registered: Dec 1899

There is a fuse box in the engine compartment AND one by the driver's left foot, in case you want to check fuses first.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Not on 99, footwell fusebox was added on later years.

judging by your screen name you are an Audi fun?
#67952 - in reply to #67901
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1