Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Long: Someone Please Console me - why, despite all the issues,

Page 1 of 1 1
Long: Someone Please Console me - why, despite all the issues,
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 5:02 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Long: Someone Please Console me - why, despite all the issues,

do we love these vehicles so much. Don't answer that!!! I know why but just have to as k to make sure I'm not sick. Just a couple of weeks ago my E was leaking tranny fluid. I was pissed because I knew it was that pesky tranny sensor that's so poorly design that...... Then, the GPS antennae just broke off its base and as I hurtled down to the shop and noticed the ease that 90+ came up to me, I thought to myself - priceless!!!!!!! I was irritated but no way did I not enjoy that short 5 mile drive to the dealer to have this fixed. That was late last week. Then yeaterday, on 495 towards DC, the AC quit on the ML, the cabin is all fogged up and I am sweating like a pig or whatever. Ranting and raving about the darn MB products, I couldn't help but notice the ease this truck was handling 80+. Any earlier misgivings about the ML just didn't even bother me!!!! I just opened the sunroof and cracked my window to clear the cabin. She's in today - the dash will have to be pulled out for a fix of whatever is wrong with my climate control issue. But the bottom line is that verytime I put these vehicles to the test, they just respond. maybe I haven't driven enough Lexus', Porsches and Bimmers, but is it just me or do you fellow forumers just feel that these vehicled just drive, period, despite their issues??? 18 months ago I was so fed up with MBUSA and their products that I decided to trade the E. My only option was the AMG, but I didn't want to deal with issues anymore. So, I decided to try a 325i. Got a really good used one. Solid car, drives great, stiff suspension, but it's not a C for a good extended highway trip and at the limit, the Bimmer advantage essentially dissapears, period. So tell me, don't you just love the ride despite the issues even if CR rates us last in their polls??????? Brothers and sisters, gimmeee you MB smiley moments!

Edited by Darkmann 3/26/2007 5:03 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 9:45 PM
roadsession

RE: Long: Someone Please Console me - why, despite all the issues,

Darkmann - 3/26/2007 5:02 PM

do we love these vehicles so much. Don't answer that!!! I know why but just have to as k to make sure I'm not sick. Just a couple of weeks ago my E was leaking tranny fluid. I was pissed because I knew it was that pesky tranny sensor that's so poorly design that...... Then, the GPS antennae just broke off its base and as I hurtled down to the shop and noticed the ease that 90+ came up to me, I thought to myself - priceless!!!!!!! I was irritated but no way did I not enjoy that short 5 mile drive to the dealer to have this fixed. That was late last week. Then yeaterday, on 495 towards DC, the AC quit on the ML, the cabin is all fogged up and I am sweating like a pig or whatever. Ranting and raving about the darn MB products, I couldn't help but notice the ease this truck was handling 80+. Any earlier misgivings about the ML just didn't even bother me!!!! I just opened the sunroof and cracked my window to clear the cabin. She's in today - the dash will have to be pulled out for a fix of whatever is wrong with my climate control issue. But the bottom line is that verytime I put these vehicles to the test, they just respond. maybe I haven't driven enough Lexus', Porsches and Bimmers, but is it just me or do you fellow forumers just feel that these vehicled just drive, period, despite their issues??? 18 months ago I was so fed up with MBUSA and their products that I decided to trade the E. My only option was the AMG, but I didn't want to deal with issues anymore. So, I decided to try a 325i. Got a really good used one. Solid car, drives great, stiff suspension, but it's not a C for a good extended highway trip and at the limit, the Bimmer advantage essentially dissapears, period. So tell me, don't you just love the ride despite the issues even if CR rates us last in their polls??????? Brothers and sisters, gimmeee you MB smiley moments!

Well put.
All I can tell you is that both my wife and I agree that:

if the drive is <3 hrs = BMW 530i
if the drive is >3 hrs = ML320

if temperature is >40deg F = BMW 530i
if temperature is <40deg F = ML320

if rainfall / snow fall is < 0.1" = BMW 530i
if rainfall / snow fall is > 0.1" = ML320

#68176 - in reply to #68146
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 10:04 PM
Darkmann

LOL but seriously, that's so exact. I wish MBUSA would just get the point!!!
#68180 - in reply to #68146
Author
Posted 3/26/2007 11:15 PM
roadsession

Oh wait...another points:

BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura > 4 years old = LOOKS OUTDATED
MB > 4 years old = Still looks "fresh"

BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura > 8 years old = LOOKS EMBARASSINGLY OUTDATED AND OLD.
MB > 8 years old = Still 'fresh'

BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura > 10 years old = LOOKS PATHETIC.
MB > 10 years old = Has potential to be a classic.

Edited by roadsession 3/26/2007 11:15 PM
#68190 - in reply to #68180
Author
Posted 3/28/2007 3:15 AM
C-Rod
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2006 ML 350

To be honest "D" and "R"..........l have been teetering..........My prior vehicles......a Lexus 93 ES 300 and 99 RX 300 were wonderful vehicles, completely trouble free............but as mentioned before, very boring rides.........so this is my problem......What is it that l want in a vehicle.........As these two brands have clearly shown me..l can't have the best of both worlds.....reliabilty and passion all rolled into one....Do l accept the fact that Benzes are not as reliable as they use to be....just for the sake of driving one ?????? or do l drive the Lexus just for the sake of it being more reliable ?????? lf l was making that decision for my children, it would be a no-brainer......but for me..its not so easy....lf l look at the most recent quality reports of auto manufacturer's....Why is it the vehicles l desire the most, are at the bottom..Mercedes..Land Rover...Do l need to have a prestigious vehicle to make me feel better...Any car "nut" will tell you..that a vehicle purchase is a purchase of passion...do l like the way it looks.....do l like the way it handles...ls this a vehicle that l will enjoy washing once a week....l guess it depends on your level of tolerance....l know all of us have very high expectaions...and to be honest...in the last few years, they have not been met...So what do we do??????should we keep on supporting this brand ?????Does it deserve our devotion??????l'm not quite sure anymore....
#68286 - in reply to #68146
Author
Posted 3/28/2007 12:36 PM
cmitch
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

I just let my friend from Rock Island, TN drive my ML430 with 170,000 miles on it. He was blown away at the tightness of steering and the general ride quality of this vehicle, despite it's age and high mileage.

We all, from time to time, get really upset when our vehicles have some sort of failure that really shouldn't happen. But compared to what's out there, what else will last as long and still be a pleasure to drive after 170,000 miles? 

#68328 - in reply to #68146
Author
Posted 3/29/2007 4:39 AM
embee

My ml still feels solid at 115k miles. It used to squeak and creak alot, around when warranty was about to expire, but I eventually got to all of them and drives quiet as new. Mechanically, I had to replace most wear and tear items(shocks, water pump, alternator etc..) to keep the car fresh. During 5yrs of ownership, I probably spent about $5-6k in repairs/upkeep, but I put on alot of miles. All in all, it's still worth it to keep it around. My goal is to reach 300k.
#68466 - in reply to #68146
Author
Posted 3/29/2007 8:31 AM
cmitch
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

My ML430 has all original shocks/struts, plugs, plug wires, ball joints, etc. I had the drive shafts rebuilt and installed new Brembo rotors on front  (rear is still original). I get 17.5 mpg around town and 21 mpg on the road. Of course, I drive 15 miles to work each day so that has to help with the town mileage.  Can't beat that for a V-8. The ML320 gets about 18.5 in town but highway is 21 as well.
#68477 - in reply to #68146
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1