Page 1 of 1 1
Upgrade to CD Changer
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 2:37 PM
RonJeffries

Date registered: Dec 1899
Upgrade to CD Changer

I visited my dealer today to ask about upgrading to the CD changer on my 2005 SLK350. The service writer checked the database and was unable to find any installation instructions, and with regret told me that he concluded that the changer is a factory-only option.

I don't know whether to believe him or not. I suppose if he won't write the order, it doesn't matter. Maybe I could buy the unit and have a stereo place put it in.

Speaking of stereo places, I visited Toys With Noise in Ann Arbor and asked about MP3 capability. The guy took one look at the dash and said he wouldn't recommend putting in a new head unit for that purpose alone. He's going to look into hooking an iPod into the system, thinks he might be able to make the six disc changer buttons select playlists and generally make the wheel buttons work. I'll keep the group posted on what comes back from that idea.

Meanwhile, ideas on how to convince the dealer that they can in fact put the CD changer in will be welcome.

Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 3:18 PM
etyu

RE: Upgrade to CD Changer

RonJeffries - 5/1/2006 11:37 AM

I visited my dealer today to ask about upgrading to the CD changer on my 2005 SLK350. The service writer checked the database and was unable to find any installation instructions, and with regret told me that he concluded that the changer is a factory-only option.

I don't know whether to believe him or not. I suppose if he won't write the order, it doesn't matter. Maybe I could buy the unit and have a stereo place put it in.

Speaking of stereo places, I visited Toys With Noise in Ann Arbor and asked about MP3 capability. The guy took one look at the dash and said he wouldn't recommend putting in a new head unit for that purpose alone. He's going to look into hooking an iPod into the system, thinks he might be able to make the six disc changer buttons select playlists and generally make the wheel buttons work. I'll keep the group posted on what comes back from that idea.

Meanwhile, ideas on how to convince the dealer that they can in fact put the CD changer in will be welcome.

Thanks,

Ron, I just called the local MB service department and they said they would be happy to put in a CD changer in the glove box. "When can I schedule you to come in for the install?" You may want to talk to both parts department and the service manager.
#6650 - in reply to #6635
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 3:48 PM
ianx, manchester

Ron if you have Audio 20, without a changer already, then I believe the MOST ring needs to be connected and configured via SDS. If you have COMAND the install should be straightforward.

For anyone else reading this thread in the future...
there are two models of CD changer out there.
they have distinct part numbers! (both still being supplied by MB)

the non-MP3 capable one is p/n A211 827 55 42 80
the MP3 one is p/n A211 870 08 89
#6662 - in reply to #6635
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 4:14 PM
samhmbz

M.B considers this a non retrofitable install, there are no listed instructions for this. Some dealers will install and some wont. Comand or Audio 20 the procedure is the same,version coding varies and yes you have to bridge into the fiber optic system. The power connection for the changer is the base of the rt side a pillar.
Parts list.

R171 MP3 COMPATIBLE “MOST” 6 DISK SINGLE
FEED CD CHANGER RETROFIT PARTS

1-MP3 CHANGER 211-870-08-89
1-BRACKET (MOUNTS AROUND CHANGER) 171-545-35-40
1-FRAME TRIM AROUND FRONT SECTION 171-545-02-46
1-FRAME CORNER TRIM (NOTE ELIMINATES LAMP) 171-545-04-46
4-SCREWS (COUNTER SUNK MACHINE SCREWS) 000-997-81-32
4-MOST CABLES (DIFF. CABLES CAN BE USED) 211-540-31-32
3-PASSIVE CONNECTORS(amount depends on the cables used)000-545-44-84

Sam

Edited by samhmbz 5/1/2006 4:19 PM
#6673 - in reply to #6662
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 4:18 PM
ianx, manchester

Sam, brilliant post! What more could anyone ask for ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as an aside...
I'm not sure if this is possible in the states...
but you may want to see if you can get your dealer to add the fact that you have the cd changer added to your cars datacard (sort of like its birth certificate!) on the FDOK database (I believe the equivalent system is NETSTAR in the USA)

In europe only very large dealers have the ability.
To quote someone else, Keeping the FDOK central database up to date is now quite important as systems such as the instrument cluster are coded by dealers with a long code number (a SCN) which is generated by Mercedes using the FDOK's record of what options are installed the car. Say for example you add Comand navigation module to a car that did not previously have it, the only way a regular dealer can have the cluster menu for navigation enabled is to have FDOK updated, then have the SCN generated and apply that to the cluster. They dont have the old access to just turn on the nav menu in the cluster anymore.
#6675 - in reply to #6673
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 4:29 PM
samhmbz

Yes, they can update the data card but they rarely do. They probally wont even consider doing for a "non-approved" retrofit.
SCN is not required for this install it uses's the exsisting audio menu in the cluster.
Sam

Edited by samhmbz 5/1/2006 4:32 PM
#6677 - in reply to #6675
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 9:17 PM
RonJeffries

samhmbz - 5/1/2006 4:14 PM

M.B considers this a non retrofitable install, there are no listed instructions for this. Some dealers will install and some wont. Comand or Audio 20 the procedure is the same,version coding varies and yes you have to bridge into the fiber optic system. The power connection for the changer is the base of the rt side a pillar.
Parts list.

R171 MP3 COMPATIBLE “MOST” 6 DISK SINGLE
FEED CD CHANGER RETROFIT PARTS

1-MP3 CHANGER 211-870-08-89
1-BRACKET (MOUNTS AROUND CHANGER) 171-545-35-40
1-FRAME TRIM AROUND FRONT SECTION 171-545-02-46
1-FRAME CORNER TRIM (NOTE ELIMINATES LAMP) 171-545-04-46
4-SCREWS (COUNTER SUNK MACHINE SCREWS) 000-997-81-32
4-MOST CABLES (DIFF. CABLES CAN BE USED) 211-540-31-32
3-PASSIVE CONNECTORS(amount depends on the cables used)000-545-44-84

Sam

Thanks, Sam! Sounds scary. I guess if the dealer thinks they can't do it, I should trust them. ;->
#6782 - in reply to #6673
Author
Posted 5/1/2006 11:41 PM
samhmbz

I would just call another dealer and ask them.
Sam
#6888 - in reply to #6782
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 5:43 AM
RonJeffries

samhmbz - 5/1/2006 11:41 PM

I would just call another dealer and ask them.
Sam

I may give that a try. Out here in the hinterlands, the nearest dealers are about 40 or 50 miles, mostly in places I don't want to go. Can't get more than 6 miles from a lake in Michigan, but you can get 50 miles or more from an MB dealer. ;->

I'll also ask the sound place if they'll do it.

While I have you on the line, say a bit more about splicing into the fiber optics, please. That sounds like it might be tricky?
#6968 - in reply to #6888
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 10:50 AM
beverage

RonJeffries - 5/1/2006 7:37 AM

Thanks,

He lies!!! I had my CD changer retro-fitted and the dealership did it without issue. Though I still haven't tested to make sure it works with MP3 CDs!!!!
#7054 - in reply to #6635
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 11:02 AM
RonJeffries

beverage - 5/2/2006 10:50 AM

He lies!!! I had my CD changer retro-fitted and the dealership did it without issue. Though I still haven't tested to make sure it works with MP3 CDs!!!! :o

Please do check and let us know ... that would be my reason for doing it. Thanks!

It seems pretty clear there's no writeup on how to do it. Guess I need to hit up my sales guy or the service manager.

Hmmm ...
#7062 - in reply to #7054
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 5:19 PM
bclark

My 2 cents: go to iPOD, directly to iPOD, do not stop at
CD changer, do not pay hundreds more, go directly to iPOD.

BTW(OT), did you hear that Milton Bradley is taking Boardwalk off
the board? Seems they no longer think Atlantic City represents the
ultimate in U.S. tourist destinations. Ya think?
#7222 - in reply to #7062
Author
Posted 5/2/2006 6:47 PM
RonJeffries

bclark - 5/2/2006 5:19 PM

My 2 cents: go to iPOD, directly to iPOD, do not stop at
CD changer, do not pay hundreds more, go directly to iPOD.

Likely good advice. The ToysWithNoise guys are looking into a iPod installation for me. My cheap radio -- nothing like saving maybe $800 on a $55,000 car) doesn't have a connector that will work.

I even have an iPod that I don't use much ...
#7283 - in reply to #7222
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1