Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?

Page 1 of 1 1
Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/15/2007 2:13 PM
Marcelc

Date registered: Dec 1899
Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?

Every year I need to replace one or two of the windscreen washer nozzles because the spray pattern is bad, I have tried fixing them but I failed and each one costs me about $30!

Does anybody else have this problem? Does anybody else know of a way to fix them or somewhere cheaper to buy them?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/15/2007 2:50 PM
Darkmann

RE: Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?

Nope, never had to replace any of mine on either my old 02 320 nor my current 05 500. And I'll risk and guess that very few people have had to replace them as often as you have. Yes (though mine have not), they can get clogged and what I have done on other cars is use a safety pin or any small pin and work the discharge ports of the nozzles to break up the debris. I assume you're using the correct washer fluid.
#70215 - in reply to #70212
Author
Posted 4/15/2007 4:52 PM
Marcelc

RE: Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?

Darkmann - 4/15/2007 7:50 PM

Nope, never had to replace any of mine on either my old 02 320 nor my current 05 500. And I'll risk and guess that very few people have had to replace them as often as you have. Yes (though mine have not), they can get clogged and what I have done on other cars is use a safety pin or any small pin and work the discharge ports of the nozzles to break up the debris. I assume you're using the correct washer fluid.

Yes, I'm using the genuine Merc. stuff; these spray nozzles are rather hard to clear/clean with a pin.

#70224 - in reply to #70215
Author
Posted 4/20/2007 9:52 PM
DrX

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320

It might be just you. Are you using demineralized water? Water out of a tap may have dissolved calcium (especially where I live - so-called 'hard water') that leaves deposits in your nozzles as it dries. Eventually it needs to be cleared with a pin.

It's the same stuff that coats the inside of your kettle.
#70852 - in reply to #70224
Author
Posted 4/21/2007 2:37 PM
Marcelc

DrX - 4/21/2007 2:52 AM

It might be just you. Are you using demineralized water? Water out of a tap may have dissolved calcium (especially where I live - so-called 'hard water') that leaves deposits in your nozzles as it dries. Eventually it needs to be cleared with a pin.

It's the same stuff that coats the inside of your kettle.

Thanks for the reply, I was using water out of the rain barrel as it has no calcium in it, however, it may have 'bits' in it so, as nobody else is having any trouble, I will either use filtered or demineralised water in future.

Thanks again.
#70897 - in reply to #70852
Author
Posted 4/22/2007 10:33 AM
ttaleric

Re: Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?

I've never had to replace mine...
#70964 - in reply to #70212
Author
Posted 4/24/2007 8:46 AM
DrX

Marcelc - 4/22/2007 4:37 AM
Thanks for the reply, I was using water out of the rain barrel ...

You're welcome. I wouldn't use rainwater - just go for the bottled de-ionized stuff from the supermarket. It's not free but you'll find it's much more economical than replacing your nozzles every year or so.

I've never replaced mine and don't imagine I'll ever need to.
#71306 - in reply to #70897
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 11:10 AM
phoenix44

Re: Windscreen Washer Nozzles - Is it just me or do they continually need replacing?

Never had an issue with nozzles on any vehicle
#71482 - in reply to #70964
Author
Posted 4/25/2007 3:54 PM
DrX

I should add that not only have I never replaced them, I've never cleaned the nozzles either.
#71499 - in reply to #71306
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1