Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Darn, it had to happen to my ML too!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1 1
Darn, it had to happen to my ML too!!!!!!!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/26/2007 7:10 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Darn, it had to happen to my ML too!!!!!!!

I posted this earlier in the other forum, but I feel your love here too!!!!!

The ML has been doing fine until today when the dreaded steering whine just popped up, from no where. I hadn't driven it for about a month and after reading AsianML's love for his ML, I just had to get into mine!!!!!

I have had this steering whine on my 01 E430 and 02 ML320. In both cases the steering rack was replaced. I sold the 320 but a year later, the noise came back on the E. Now, my lovely 05 has the whine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took her to the shop today and the tech seemed to know exactly what the issue was - a bas rack oil seal. I was impressed because this was the first time a tech felt so certain about the problem. He also mentioned that it's a hit-n'-go with these racks. Some go forever with no issues, and I just happen to be the lucky one to have all my MBs have this problem!!!!! In any case, the rack has to come out for this work, so she's in for a while.

Good news is that the tech told me there's a new seal design for the E (and he suggests I bring the E in for work). Why didn't they do it for the ML also. The other good news is that I get a 06 E, R or ML for the weekend. I want the E.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/26/2007 7:16 PM
AsianML

Re: Darn, it had to happen to my ML too!!!!!!!

You're welcome.

At least you found out about it early and not too late.
#71692 - in reply to #71689
Author
Posted 4/27/2007 11:37 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Darn, it had to happen to my ML too!!!!!!!

I hope that is not what's occurring on our 2002. It sounds just like the power steering whine but I don't hear it when I turn the steering wheel from side to side. Only on certain idle speeds or when slowing down in a parking lot to park.
#71790 - in reply to #71689
Author
Posted 4/27/2007 11:23 PM
Darkmann

cmitch - 4/27/2007 11:37 AM

I hope that is not what's occurring on our 2002. It sounds just like the power steering whine but I don't hear it when I turn the steering wheel from side to side. Only on certain idle speeds or when slowing down in a parking lot to park.

It could be but my noises only came on with steering wheel moving. If I just hold it, straight, no noise. As soon as I try to rotate, without even moving, the whine starts and stops as soon as I stop turning the wheel.
#71873 - in reply to #71790
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 3:26 PM
freddyK

Date registered: Mar 2007

Did you get the whine fix? My S430 had a steering whine that sounds like a light saber from star wars actually. it happens only when it is turning.. Dealer fixed it with added more power steering fluid.

#74320 - in reply to #71689
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1