Page 1 of 1 1
Update
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/2/2007 8:57 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Update

Recall my steering noise issues (http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=7077&posts=4&start=1). Well, they replaced the rack. Tech tells me that during test drive, ESP light pops up and so they replaced the "brake pressure sensor" - is that tech speak for the brake sensor? In any case, truck sounds great. So me and my two kids hop in and I take it on the highway (I always do this after any service - a good 6 mile stretch of highway leads from the shop to near my home and usually serves as a good test strip) to make sure all was good. Get off the ramp and OMG, I push down on the brake pedal and it just sank - I have never seen a stop light approach me that fast!!!!! So I pump twice as my heart races and finally I'm braking. Hollllyyyyy crap, what just happened???? I test the brakes a few times before going through the intersection and all seems fine. So I move on, left turn, down hill and there's a car ahead making a right turn, so I have to slow down. Holllly crap, where are my brakes,...., again??? Pull off the road and call the shop. Long story short, I manage to "limp" home and a tow truck was sent. I think that it's a bad bleeding problem. I hope so, and hope I get the truck back tomorrow. But that was some scarry stuff there!!!!! There's more, but later

Edited by Darkmann 5/2/2007 9:01 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 12:31 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Update

That's exactly why I don't trust ANYONE to work on my brakes but me and why I don't work on anyone elses, either.

#72505 - in reply to #72487
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 5:58 AM
Marcelc

Very frightening, it is a terrible indictment of the dealer who obviously didn't check the brakes before permitting the vehicle to be returned to its owner.

Making a mistake bleeding brakes is bad enough, but not having a fail safe checking procedure is unforgiveable.
#72536 - in reply to #72487
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 6:47 AM
AsianML

Re: Update

So how did you stop? Force downshift? E-brake?
#72540 - in reply to #72487
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 8:24 AM
Darkmann

AsianML - 5/3/2007 6:47 AM

So how did you stop? Force downshift? E-brake?

No, I just pumped it (human ABS!!!!) and then at some point the brakes just came back. On this particular off ramp, as you get off, you go uphill for a good 150 yards towards an overpass. I drive this ramp everyday from work an I usually coast in D or neutral with my 5-spd Nissan. So, I was coasting relatively slowly and started braking early. But it's a scary feeling to feel your foot just sink when you're expecting some resistance.
#72543 - in reply to #72540
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 8:28 AM
Darkmann

Marcelc - 5/3/2007 5:58 AM

Very frightening, it is a terrible indictment of the dealer who obviously didn't check the brakes before permitting the vehicle to be returned to its owner.

Making a mistake bleeding brakes is bad enough, but not having a fail safe checking procedure is unforgiveable.

Yes, I agree. When I went to pick up the truck my SA had to drive it from their lot to the customer pick-up area. She later agreed that the brakes felt very soft when she delivered it to me, but she wasn't sure whether that was just the variability in braking force for these vehicles. I have no idea what it is because when I left the dealer, I must have brakes a dozen time before hitting the ramp, and the truck did well. So, there was no indication that there was a problem.
#72544 - in reply to #72536
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 9:06 PM
ttaleric

Glad to hear you are okay!
#72695 - in reply to #72544
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 10:17 PM
Darkmann

ttaleric - 5/3/2007 9:06 PM

Glad to hear you are okay!

Thanks TT. What the found out this afternoon is that the problem wasn't the brake switch afterall. The switch was just getting bad signals from somewhere. The traced the problem to a bad master cylinder!!!!! Personally, I'm beginning to wonder what's going on here. A proper diagnosis tree should have pointed to the faulty component. I used to build fault tolerant algorithms for the NAVY's stable platforms for the F14 and the F4 and and I know a bit about tracking faulty components. There's no way MB can tell me that they don't have a good enough fault identification system that would miss any component of the braking system. If it points to a brake switch, don't just replace the switch, test it first for functionality, it's really that simple. When my climate control system had a problem that was traced to a temp. sensor, they tested the sensor first just to find out that the sensor was receiving bad info from the control unit which turned out to be the cause!!!!! Anyway, enough ranting.
#72711 - in reply to #72695
Author
Posted 5/3/2007 10:44 PM
ttaleric

Master Cylinder?! Geezzzuuss....
#72716 - in reply to #72487
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 12:49 PM
AsianML

Sue!
#72952 - in reply to #72716
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 3:18 PM
Darkmann

No, I won't sue - not really worth my time. These techs have been pretty good to me and this was a bad mistake. Luckily for me there was no car infront of me at the time and I was coasting quite slowly, and I have some experience in this kinds of situations. I still don't believe it's the master cylinder, but they can go ahead and change it on their dime. The truck's been pretty good compared with my 02 320 - just different issues!!!!! And recalling a post earlier, either we're stupid or just darn car people to love these trucks so much that we can live with these issues. The only alternative to this truck is a 06/07 ML63, period!!!!

BTW, they still have the truck - couldn't complete the job by Friday, and that tells me there's more than just a master cylinder. I have been cruising in a 06 E320 CDI and really like the car. @ 33+ mpg combined city/highway. Not bad at all.

Edited by Darkmann 5/5/2007 3:20 PM
#72978 - in reply to #72487
Author
Posted 5/5/2007 4:19 PM
Marcelc

Darkmann - 5/5/2007 8:18 PM

No, I won't sue - not really worth my time. These techs have been pretty good to me and this was a bad mistake. Luckily for me there was no car infront of me at the time and I was coasting quite slowly, and I have some experience in this kinds of situations. I still don't believe it's the master cylinder, but they can go ahead and change it on their dime. The truck's been pretty good compared with my 02 320 - just different issues!!!!! And recalling a post earlier, either we're stupid or just darn car people to love these trucks so much that we can live with these issues. The only alternative to this truck is a 06/07 ML63, period!!!!

BTW, they still have the truck - couldn't complete the job by Friday, and that tells me there's more than just a master cylinder. I have been cruising in a 06 E320 CDI and really like the car. @ 33+ mpg combined city/highway. Not bad at all.

And, maybe, if you don't sue them, they will be even kinder to you from now on !
#72981 - in reply to #72978
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1