Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : New problem...

Page 1 of 1 1
New problem...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/13/2007 9:51 AM
ttaleric

Date registered: Dec 1899
New problem...

Seems to be a wheel barring or something problem. When I begin to break I hear a grinding noise coming from the rear passenger tire. I am assuming it is the breaks..

I think it is because I did some light off roading yesterday and went through some puddles...  Let me know what you guys think about that one...

Also I have a small whipping sound when i accelerate that is coming from under my truck. I got under the hood pulled the throttle and the sound did not occur, it is only when the
tires are moving.  And it gets faster when I speed up. I think it could be a small leak in my cat or my resonator. Thoughts?

Thanks guys! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/13/2007 10:27 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: New problem...

I'd check for a rock. This happened to me on the ML430 and I was driving in a gravel parking lot. A rock became wedged in a precarious position in the calipers against the brake pads. When I braked, it sounded like the rear wheel was going to fall off. I took the tire off and found it. I had to dislodge it with a large screw driver.
#74178 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/13/2007 12:26 PM
Marcelc

You can dislodge stones from the brakes by braking hard when in reverse. I was shown this on a Merc. off-roading day when I had that same problem, I braked fiercely in reverse (on grass) and the stone disappeared.

#74193 - in reply to #74178
Author
Posted 5/13/2007 1:27 PM
azinn

ttaleric - 5/13/2007 9:51 AM

Seems to be a wheel barring or something problem. When I begin to break I hear a grinding noise coming from the rear passenger tire. I am assuming it is the breaks..

I think it is because I did some light off roading yesterday and went through some puddles...  Let me know what you guys think about that one...

Also I have a small whipping sound when i accelerate that is coming from under my truck. I got under the hood pulled the throttle and the sound did not occur, it is only when the
tires are moving.  And it gets faster when I speed up. I think it could be a small leak in my cat or my resonator. Thoughts?

Thanks guys! 

[/QUOTE

When mine did this several years ago, it was a worn pad scraping the rotor. No warning light came on. My 2 cents.
#74206 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/13/2007 7:32 PM
Darkmann

Marcelc - 5/13/2007 12:26 PM

You can dislodge stones from the brakes by braking hard when in reverse. I was shown this on a Merc. off-roading day when I had that same problem, I braked fiercely in reverse (on grass) and the stone disappeared.

That's a neat trick. Thanks. TT, I agree that the first issue is most likely a lucky rock riding your ML's rear disks. I have no idae about your second problem. Can you expound on "whipping" sound some more?
#74236 - in reply to #74193
Author
Posted 5/13/2007 8:27 PM
ttaleric

Re: New problem...

Dark --

Not really.. I mean it sounds like there is a plastic bag stuck in my axle and just whipping around while I accelerate.

I need to go home and roll under the truck and check the cats.. I am up at school... Summer School...
#74244 - in reply to #74236
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 12:30 PM
ttaleric

I tried the reverse thing today.... Didn't seem to help.. Maybe I should of went faster?
#74304 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/14/2007 1:27 PM
LtnML

wow I had a similar problem too, when I braked I could hear a grinding in the rear, I changed my pads and rotors two weeks ago. Now the ML is fine, new problem is when I accelerate or come to a stop, and sometimes maybe even turn my wheels, I hear a pop, only once, and it the process starts over when I accelerate, brake, etc...
#74312 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 2:33 AM
Andy W

I had the same problem on my 2002 ML270 after off roading, my problems were gravel between the calipers and pads, twigs wedged above the plastic engine guards and a bent rear engine support which had lifted the gearbox and knocked everything out of line, all debris removed, plastic engine guard repaired and new cross member fitted, all ok.
#74551 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 1:29 PM
HarmsWay

Sounds similar to the noise I was hearing about a month ago from my front passenger wheel except the sound was intermittent. Some times there and other times not. Some times applying the brakes made it go away and other times it brought it on. I was thinking bearing at that point, but after a week or so it was always sounding bad. Turned out to be a broken spring clip.
#74592 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/19/2007 5:19 PM
ttaleric

Here was the issue..

Pulled the rear passanger side tire off.. Only to find that the rear pad of the caliper was gone... And the front pad was in great shape.. Meaning I drove 400+mi through Western Carolina on my disc.. Making it completely fubar.

So new caliper, new pads (all 4 new disc's all 4)...

Should be around 500$ for all parts..

Nice.. :-(
#74995 - in reply to #74171
Author
Posted 5/21/2007 5:23 PM
ttaleric

Got the rear calipers off German star..

Picked up some EBC Pads, and EBC Performance Discs..
#75182 - in reply to #74171
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1