Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Need advice re drivetrain

Page 1 of 1 1
Need advice re drivetrain
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 4:07 PM
MDJ8

Date registered: Dec 1899
Need advice re drivetrain

Dear All, I have what I believe is a problem with my 25K mile 2005 ML270 but my dealer says it's a characteristic or the car. The prob is that once warmed up the car "snatches" when gently accelerating and decelerating in slow moving traffic. This is accompanied by a clunk/thump underneath the car. Sometimes the effect is very pronounced, particularly if you need to slow down and speed up quickly or have to slow down and speed up at higher speeds. The same noise/thump although more muted can also be heard and felt when stationary and shifting between drive and reverse - it is more harsh when going from reverse to drive and feels like something heavy is sliding backwards and forwards. I previously owned a 2003 ML350 and never experienced anything remotely like this. The car is under warranty but after 3 visits 1) can't be replicated, 2) can't find anything wrong on the 3rd visit the MB dealer and a Tech guy from the UK H/O insist it happens on some W163's and mine is one of the better ones. I even have a letter from them saying it's a characteristic of the car. If anyone has experienced this before or has any idea as to what it could be I'd be grateful to know as it's spoiling what would otherwise be an enjoyable car. Many thanks and Rgds
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/16/2007 5:53 PM
roberthelfrick

RE: Need advice re drivetrain

Manual or automatic transmission?
#74633 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 5/17/2007 3:00 AM
MDJ8

Auto - tip.
#74695 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 5/17/2007 1:05 PM
Marcelc

I have a 2002 ML 270 with nearly 60K miles on the clock and have not noticed any such 'snatching', nor have I heard of anyone else with a similar problem.

#74732 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 5/18/2007 1:12 PM
Marcelc

It may not be a hardware problem, it may be firmware, you might ask the dealer if you have the latest version, you might also ask for a transmission ECU reset.

You should be able to reset the transmission yourself with the following procedure:

This procedure resets the transmission ECU adaptive learning algorithm:

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

(Thanks to Phoenix44 for the reset procedure)

#74878 - in reply to #74732
Author
Posted 5/18/2007 5:38 PM
roberthelfrick

Re: Need advice re drivetrain

I had a thunk on downshift to first gear when nearing a stop and the dealer said they replaced clutch packs under warrantee.
#74897 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 5/25/2007 7:00 PM
MDJ8

Many thanks for the info. I tried the ecu reset to no avail. I got fed up with the denials from the current dealership and took the car to another. The new dealership I took the car to reports after test driving 2 other ML diesels they do the same but less noticeably..... They have, however, told someone at Benz technical that there is play, which appears to be in the transfer case. The response from benz technical was although this issue has never been raised before if I am unhappy they are prepared to attempt a fix by replacing the components that they think may be allowing this "characteristic" to happen. Its basically the fancy chain between the rear propshaft drive and the front diff prop shaft inside the transfer case that may be a bit slack. I have attached a picture to show. Benz will replace items 1) and 2) in that pic. Parts are on order from the factory so will be a while before I update - probably after next week. Quite frankly I'm still somewhat skeptical - the prob is much more noticeable at slow speed - whilst looking for a carparking space for example and a slack chain will probabaly do it but the thing that gets me is MB say other cars do it but I cant find any private owner on the boards who recognises the problem. Anyway fingers crossed. Rgds

Edited by MDJ8 5/25/2007 7:02 PM

(transfer case1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments transfer case1.JPG (33KB - 5 downloads)
#75677 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 5/27/2007 7:52 AM
tzetter

I wonder if maybe I have this issue as well. I don't notice an audible "clunk" so much as a sort-of "catching" or slight mechanical resistance felt when letting off the gas at low speeds (like when approaching a stop light for example). Sometimes the car will coast normally, others I will feel a slight catch or mechnical feel from the front--nothing violent but it is noticeable.
#75796 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 6/9/2007 12:58 AM
MDJ8

Well, received the car back from the dealer yesterday evening and no change. It's a shame because the foreman seemed to know what he was doing. I'll call the guy on Monday to see whether he has any other ideas although now he has "effected a repair" and test driven the car to ensure it's OK, before handing it back I feel he's hardly likely to admit there's anything wrong with the car. I don't like this "characteristic" if it is one and unless it can be fixed which now seems unlikely will need to think about a change - poss Touareg or Cayenne.

Edited by MDJ8 6/9/2007 1:01 AM
#77947 - in reply to #74618
Author
Posted 6/9/2007 7:59 AM
phoenix44

My former 430 and my 55 both will "snatch" in bumper to bumper traffic, not all the time, but I do notice it. There is no clunking though.
#77976 - in reply to #77947
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1