Page 1 of 1 1
Pet Peeve
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/5/2007 5:58 PM
phoenix44

Date registered: Dec 1899
Pet Peeve

For all the things that I really like about the ML, one thing that bugs me and it seems stupid that it was designed this way.

The body work in front of the front wheels always gets dirty. There is a gap in the wheel well that allows all the crap to just spin out onto the sides of the front bumper.

Is this just me? Has anyone else noticed this, and found a "fix" ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 7:13 AM
ttaleric

Re: Pet Peeve

I have had this same issue!! Though it doesn't bother me that much.. I guess you could use some silicone sealant to patch it up..
#77479 - in reply to #77415
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 10:15 AM
Marcelc

This irks me a little also but I've given up and decided to live with it.

I looked into making a continuation of the wheelwell liner, but thought it would probably interfere with air flow to the front brakes; the silicon sealant idea is a good one, though.

I just hose it down when I remember.

#77493 - in reply to #77479
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 10:22 AM
phoenix44

I doubt that I would do anything about it, but it reminds me of the '86 vette that I had....same issue, but that was a clam shell hood.

I am thinking that considering the ML is an "off-road" vehicle, that, from the factory they could have had a rubber flap or something to cover the gap.
#77495 - in reply to #77493
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 10:48 AM
Mike's ML

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): . 1990 190E 2.6, 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
RE: Pet Peeve

After 9 years of owning ML's I never noticed this. Now that you have brought it up I wnet out and checked what you were talking about and see what you mean. Now I'm really upset and am going to get rid of my ML's immediately.
Mike
#77497 - in reply to #77415
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 10:56 AM
phoenix44

Mike's ML - 6/6/2007 10:48 AM

After 9 years of owning ML's I never noticed this. Now that you have brought it up I wnet out and checked what you were talking about and see what you mean. Now I'm really upset and am going to get rid of my ML's immediately.
Mike

I did say it was a pet peeve, so either my Jedi mind control is leading you to the decision to dump your ml, or you are joking
#77498 - in reply to #77497
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 11:15 AM
AsianML

I've noticed this. It doesn't bother me too much. It cleans the wheel wells whenever I drive in a big puddle in the rain.

I've noticed that at a side angle, the light passing through the gap visually makes the front end look shorter, making it look more like a minivan.
#77503 - in reply to #77498
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 1:20 PM
lkchris
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): '07 GL320CDI, '06 E320CDI

Imagine that--an SUV that gets dirty.

Perhaps it's good all the mud doesn't build up under the fender.

#77521 - in reply to #77415
Author
Posted 6/6/2007 5:00 PM
Mike's ML

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle(s): . 1990 190E 2.6, 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE

phoenix44 - 6/6/2007 10:56 AM

Mike's ML - 6/6/2007 10:48 AM

Mike

I did say it was a pet peeve, so either my Jedi mind control is leading you to the decision to dump your ml, or you are joking :biggrin:
IT'S A JOKE!!
I am a lousy Joke teller. I'm not about to get rid of my ML's.
Mike
#77538 - in reply to #77498
Author
Posted 6/7/2007 4:11 PM
Darkmann

They took the body-on-frame thing to a little extreme in my judgement. Those gaps don't have to be so wide. Then again, thanks to the designers for thae large gaps. If you live in Central NY or locales where salt is the only resolve for winter snow, you'd be glad you gad that gap between the bumpers and the rest of the car. Lesser gaps would trap corroding stuff in there and withing months you'd start to rust. I know this. I used to live in Syracuse, NY and anything besides daily washings during the winter months would result in rust havoc. Any small gap where fluid could collect woul allow fluid+corroding salt to collect and if left without cleaning for several days, .....well, you get the rest.
#77708 - in reply to #77415
Author
Posted 6/7/2007 4:41 PM
Marcelc

Darkmann - 6/7/2007 9:11 PM

They took the body-on-frame thing to a little extreme in my judgement. Those gaps don't have to be so wide. Then again, thanks to the designers for thae large gaps. If you live in Central NY or locales where salt is the only resolve for winter snow, you'd be glad you gad that gap between the bumpers and the rest of the car. Lesser gaps would trap corroding stuff in there and withing months you'd start to rust. I know this. I used to live in Syracuse, NY and anything besides daily washings during the winter months would result in rust havoc. Any small gap where fluid could collect woul allow fluid+corroding salt to collect and if left without cleaning for several days, .....well, you get the rest.

Corrosion, as opposed to rust, can be countered with a lump of zinc screwed tightly to the chassis (i.e. properly earthed), I believe this is what is called a sacrificial anode and is used on ships (which sit in salt water) to reduce corrosion.

I suppose car manufacturers prefer not to sacrifice their profits, and not all of their cars will encounter serious salt corrosion and I have not tried it myself.

#77715 - in reply to #77708
Author
Posted 6/7/2007 5:37 PM
AsianML

Darkmann - 6/7/2007 4:11 PM They took the body-on-frame thing to a little extreme in my judgement. Those gaps don't have to be so wide. Then again, thanks to the designers for thae large gaps. If you live in Central NY or locales where salt is the only resolve for winter snow, you'd be glad you gad that gap between the bumpers and the rest of the car. Lesser gaps would trap corroding stuff in there and withing months you'd start to rust. I know this. I used to live in Syracuse, NY and anything besides daily washings during the winter months would result in rust havoc. Any small gap where fluid could collect woul allow fluid+corroding salt to collect and if left without cleaning for several days, .....well, you get the rest.
Yo! We get a bunch load of snow here, and equal amounts of road salt too.
#77737 - in reply to #77708
Author
Posted 6/7/2007 9:33 PM
Darkmann

Yo! We get a bunch load of snow here, and equal amounts of road salt too. :cheers:

Darn, AsianML, you had snow before the season started and you still have snow after the season!!!! You have to move man!!! I had to drive to NY to see snow this season. We did hve our traditional 2-day snow flurries which seem to disappear as soon as they touch ground!!! After Syracuse, I promised myself not to live in any salt belt state anymore. I don't mind the snow, just the stuff that's left over!!!
#77772 - in reply to #77737
Author
Posted 6/7/2007 9:51 PM
AsianML

Darkmann - 6/7/2007 9:33 PM Darn, AsianML, you had snow before the season started and you still have snow after the season!!!! You have to move man!!! I had to drive to NY to see snow this season. We did hve our traditional 2-day snow flurries which seem to disappear as soon as they touch ground!!! After Syracuse, I promised myself not to live in any salt belt state anymore. I don't mind the snow, just the stuff that's left over!!!

Whoops. Misunderstanding. No snow here anymore. It was a high of 98 degrees here. When we got back from Vietnam mid-April, it was snowing though. I was wearing loose shorts and t-shirt. That was cold. And it kept snowing until almost the end of April.

Edited by AsianML 6/7/2007 9:52 PM
#77776 - in reply to #77772
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1