Page 1 of 1 1
Red vs. Red
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 9:49 AM
Dinoman

Date registered: Dec 1899
Red vs. Red

As I indicated a while back in a post on another forum, before taking delivery of my SLK 350, I had seen cars with a red leather interior, and cars painted Firemist Red, but never the combination of the two colors. When my car was delivered, I found that the red seats were an excellent complement to the Firemist Red paint. The seats were called "berry" by the dealer, and are in fact a subdued red with a raspberry-like tint. Interestingly, the red/black interior combination for the SLK 55 AMG appears in the SLK brochure and in Alroumi's posted pictures to feature a bright red hue. It is odd that MB would offer two such different interior shades within a class of models, yet refer to both colors simply as "red." Say, that might make a great name for a musical group! Dinoman
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 11:05 AM
Ynot

RE: Red vs. Red

Blue vs Blue

I've seen it on the blue as well, the ones that comes with the AMG is two tone and is lighter than the solid blue that comes with the 350. The AMG looks MUCH BETTER in my opinion. But the blue interior is discontinued for the '06 model SLKs.

#7764 - in reply to #7728
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 4:20 PM
bloflin

Dinoman - 5/3/2006 8:49 AM

As I indicated a while back in a post on another forum, before taking delivery of my SLK 350, I had seen cars with a red leather interior, and cars painted Firemist Red, but never the combination of the two colors. When my car was delivered, I found that the red seats were an excellent complement to the Firemist Red paint. The seats were called "berry" by the dealer, and are in fact a subdued red with a raspberry-like tint. Interestingly, the red/black interior combination for the SLK 55 AMG appears in the SLK brochure and in Alroumi's posted pictures to feature a bright red hue. It is odd that MB would offer two such different interior shades within a class of models, yet refer to both colors simply as "red." Say, that might make a great name for a musical group! Dinoman

Dinoman, I have an '05 SLK55 with the red/black seats. The red is NOT a bright red. It is more as you described for your SL350. A subdued red. Not a Fire engine nor Lipstick red. I actually thought it would be brighter from the pics, also.
#7886 - in reply to #7728
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 4:29 PM
AsianML

Re: Red vs. Red

Lighting in the pic and in real life perhaps?
#7892 - in reply to #7886
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 6:52 PM
Easty

I wanted red seats but not very good at waiting for things..
#7965 - in reply to #7728
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 6:58 PM
alroumi

bloflin - 5/3/2006 11:20 PM

Dinoman - 5/3/2006 8:49 AM

Dinoman, I have an '05 SLK55 with the red/black seats. The red is NOT a bright red. It is more as you described for your SL350. A subdued red. Not a Fire engine nor Lipstick red. I actually thought it would be brighter from the pics, also.

Very True!
#7969 - in reply to #7886
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 6:59 PM
alroumi

Dinoman - 5/3/2006 4:49 PM

Please Nick name your upcoming SLK " Ketchup " or get custom plates for it!
#7970 - in reply to #7728
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 8:44 AM
Dinoman

Bloflin, I wonder if it is a case of unfaithful color reproduction in pictures, or do you think that MB may actually vary the colors from time to time? Strangely, the only two SLK 350's that I saw before taking delivery of mine had what appeared to be bright red seats. Go figure. Dinoman
#8296 - in reply to #7886
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 11:34 AM
beverage

Dinoman - 5/4/2006 1:44 PM

Bloflin, I wonder if it is a case of unfaithful color reproduction in pictures, or do you think that MB may actually vary the colors from time to time? Strangely, the only two SLK 350's that I saw before taking delivery of mine had what appeared to be bright red seats. Go figure. Dinoman

I have a very vague recollection that there was a bright berry red as well as the Dusky Red, but the berry red was phased out!!! I also have the feeling the bright berry red was only available in the US????

Could be wrong though!!!
#8370 - in reply to #8296
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 11:49 AM
Dinoman

Bev, The funny thing is that, at least in the U.S., the red interior on the SL (at least through 2006, to my knowledge) is called "berry.'' Yet, that red had a ghastly pink hue, and it was only available with Mars Red (non-metallic), whereas red leather is only available here with Firemist Red (Amber Red in the U.K.). It all gets a bit confusing after awhile! Dinoman
#8374 - in reply to #8370
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 1:02 PM
Dinoman

Alroumi, I already have custom plates on the SLK---"YF." I formerly had "XF," which my father then had, and now my mother has on her E 320. I thought it would be cool to have "ZF" on the Boxster, which formerly had the YF plates. My initials are "FI," and I have had that plate for 32 years (it is presently on the SL). I spoke to someone at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles about it, and was told that I could have "ZF." My plates came today: "IF." After my experience with the fins (see my other thread of woe), I'm wondering if that should be changed to "WHAT IF"!!! Ynot, I hope you see this! Someone's trying to tell me something! Dinoman
#8397 - in reply to #7970
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 7:56 AM
beverage

Dinoman - 5/4/2006 4:49 PM

Bev, The funny thing is that, at least in the U.S., the red interior on the SL (at least through 2006, to my knowledge) is called "berry.'' Yet, that red had a ghastly pink hue, and it was only available with Mars Red (non-metallic), whereas red leather is only available here with Firemist Red (Amber Red in the U.K.). It all gets a bit confusing after awhile! Dinoman

I quite agree - way too confusing Way can't they keep the same colours through the entire range
#8929 - in reply to #8374
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 8:27 AM
Dinoman

Bev, It's not just the different colors for different markets. It's also the different names of the colors. I can understand having different names for countries whose languages are quite different from one another. However, having different names for the U.S. and the U.K., and sometimes even the U.S. and Canada, makes no sense to me. It sometimes seems like a deliberate attempt by the MB powers-that-be to keep us all guessing! Dinoman
#8934 - in reply to #8929
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 8:44 AM
beverage

I think it's just to keep us all on our toes!!! And to give us something to moan about!!
#8935 - in reply to #7728
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 8:57 AM
Dinoman

I'll drink to that!!!!!! Dinoman
#8940 - in reply to #8935
Author
Posted 5/5/2006 6:26 PM
bclark

Another gas station exchange today:

"(A sister on her cell phone): Excuse me, what kind of car is that?"

A Mercedes, the SLK.

"(On the phone to her man): He says it's a Mercedes SLK. I want
a red one!"

The red color is called Firemist. You should get one.

"He says its called Firemist. He said you should get me one!"

#9160 - in reply to #7728
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 9:16 AM
Dinoman

Bclark, They say the price of gas is high, but for the guy on the other end of the phone, the price of his woman GOING to the gas station might just be a lot highte!!! Dinoman
#10655 - in reply to #9160
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1