Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Cabin Air Filter

Page 1 of 1 1
Cabin Air Filter
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 2:49 PM
rudeney

Date registered: Dec 1899
Cabin Air Filter

I often remove the filter in the summer to get better airflow (black truck, hot Alabama climate).  The filter in there was pretty nasty.  I thought about trying to clean it and then I had an idea.  I decided I would try one of those washable electrostatic filters.  Years ago, I bought one for my home A/C unit and it does a great job.  Even though it costs more, it lasts “forever” because you wash it instead of tossing it out.  Also, it supposedly traps smaller particles while providing better airflow. 

I bought one at Home Depot that is a “universal” size with an adjustable frame.  I had to cut the frame down significantly and drill a few extra holes to get it sized small enough.  It’s not even half as thick as the OEM filter, but it seems to fit just fine.  I actually have enough leftover material for three more filters, but of course there’s no suitable leftover pieces for the frame.  It seems to work quite well with decent airflow. 

So, just an FYI for anyone thinking of replacing the cabin air filter, you might try this.  Even if you decide not to clean the filter, you’ll end up with enough material for four filters for about $25.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/3/2006 8:37 PM
Noodles

Re: Cabin Air Filter

I am running a new charcoal filter, but for the next one I am going to try your mod

Thanks.
#8042 - in reply to #7825
Author
Posted 5/7/2006 9:23 PM
sin0822

ok and where is this cabon air filter? The air that comes out of my air system smells liek shit.
#10501 - in reply to #7825
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 12:50 AM
AndrewAZ

sin0822 - 5/7/2006 6:23 PM

ok and where is this cabon air filter? The air that comes out of my air system smells liek shit.

Open the passenger front door and look for the 12volt cigaret lighter. Basically you have to unscrew the panel that the 12V is attached to. It has mmm like 3 screws pull that out and the filter is to the left of where the 12 volt lighter is you will notice a black clip you take that off and the filter will drop out. Make sure to place a towel on the passenger foot well area since some debris might fall out. Now chaining this wont fix the smell unless you sucked something strange up. The smell comes from mold that has grown on the A/C condensation. You could have a plug condensation pipe but I doubt it. The best way to prevent this is to turn the A/C off 5 mins before you reach your destination or you can run the heater for a few minutes. Another thing I have done is to buy lysol or a product called ozone that can be found at any auto store. To use either product turn the vent on your car to full go outside and place your hand on the black trim that your windshield wiper rest on you will notice that the intake for the air comes in from the perforated holes, spray the lysol or ozone on that and let it vent for a while and that should kill the smell. A warning before you do that open all your windows and I would let it vent for about 10mins after you spray either product since the smell is strong and will burn your eyes.
#10588 - in reply to #10501
Author
Posted 5/8/2006 9:33 PM
sin0822

ok i did it, i hope the smell doesnt presist.
#10961 - in reply to #7825
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1