Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : ML430 Knock sensor at High Rpm

Page 1 of 1 1
ML430 Knock sensor at High Rpm
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/11/2007 4:34 AM
Tarydesign

Date registered: Dec 1899
ML430 Knock sensor at High Rpm

Please help, my ML430 2001 started going into 'protection mode' when I rev it passed 5000rpm. Up to 5000rpm all is fine, as soon as you pass 5000rpm The engine seems to misfire and loose power, then idles rough! when you depress the accelerator, she pulls as normal until you put your foot flat then the engine seems to die and loose power. I stopped at the merc dealer and plugged the vehicle into computer. The system displays a fault on the EMS, knock sensor on cylinder 5,6,8. If you turn off the engine and restart, the car runs fine until you reach the 5000rpm threshold again... What is faulty?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/12/2007 10:30 AM
ML430WAU

RE: ML430 Knock sensor at High Rpm

Sounds like and looks like similar error codes that mine was giving out on my ML430.

I thought it was the MAS but actually turned out to be the petrol pump. The fuel supply would deplete at the higher revs and there was a backfiring and sputtering and a very significant loss of power(forget it when it came to overatking another vehicle) Problem came out of left field.

After I tried a new ML430 MAS the problem was still there.

Eventually and after a short while and a break down that still allowed me to turn the engine over, I discovered that there was no fuel going through the fuel line by undoing it from underneath the bonnet.

Before I tried to clean ad check the fuel filter, I cleaned the original petrol pump out. Sme body ahd been there before me. I could tell form all the tell tle signs of newer black silicone used aoround the cover over the top of ptrol tanl cover under the seat.

Cleaned the pumpo, put it all back and apart form the AAM failure, it has worked perfectly.

Even with the original ML320 MAS that the local Mercs Benz dealer was kind enough put in the place of the ML430 one at some stage of my ML430's life ('cause they work just as well, they said. Yeah okay, it seems to)..............................then the AAM died.

The sediment I found in the reservoir that surrounds the petrol pump inside the NL430 tank was very think and black almost like clay.

Clean it your self or take it to a mechanic (qualified).

If you remove and clean it yourself make sure that you are VERY careful as you will be working near and with petrol.

If you want to try first you can clean the MAS with denatured alcohol (inside a zip lock sealable plastic bag and shake the sensor in a bath of it and then let dry) or there is a CRC product that you can spray onto the sensor face.

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers big ears.

DavidDi

Edited by ML430WAU 6/12/2007 10:32 AM
#78397 - in reply to #78197
Author
Posted 6/13/2007 11:37 AM
Tarydesign

Re: ML430 Knock sensor at High Rpm

Good points!! I will pull the fuel filter and replace.. Where is it?? I'll also check for that sediment.. This may ALL explain the Lack (if you can call it that) of outright performance..

Ouch- I replaced the plugs.. $15 each x 16!! (They were the originals and she has done 104000km)-no difference, better fuel consumption though!! ??!!

Thanks!!
#78565 - in reply to #78197
Author
Posted 6/13/2007 11:50 AM
AsianML

Check the WIS thread sticky at the top. I think there are instructions in there for getting to the fuel filter.
#78566 - in reply to #78565
Author
Posted 6/15/2007 1:56 PM
Tarydesign

Ok, please help, I have looked everywhere on this site, where is the fuel filter? Is it underneath the rear seat on the ML430? Where is the fuel pump?? What is it that "wizzes" in the engine bay when you turn the key on?
#78928 - in reply to #78197
Author
Posted 6/30/2007 12:15 PM
Tarydesign

Ok, Replaced Fuel filter and checked the pump-SPOTLESS!! What a job to get in there though!! And those SILLY Filter clips!! Still the same.. ANY Ideas PLEASE!?!?!
#80826 - in reply to #78197
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1