Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Ok, Hill Decend Feature - how does it work?

Page 1 of 1 1
Ok, Hill Decend Feature - how does it work?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/14/2007 9:40 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Ok, Hill Decend Feature - how does it work?

A couple of days ago I was just starting to go down a reasonably steep hill when I stopped to read some real estate posting. As I let off the brakes, no gas, I was expecting the truck to start rolling. But is just crawled slowly - not engine braking, just a slow crawl in D, until I gave it gas. Is this the hill decend feature at work? If it is, I like it!!! if it's not, I hope it never happens again.

Edited by Darkmann 6/14/2007 10:05 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/15/2007 5:00 PM
roughneck
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: Ok, Hill Decend Feature - how does it work?

That sounds like hill decent, abs/traction control work it.
#78951 - in reply to #78788
Author
Posted 6/26/2007 1:53 AM
Noodles

Re: Ok, Hill Decend Feature - how does it work?

If it is in hill descent mode do not tap the brakes if you want the truck to negotiate the hill.
Tapping the brakes over rides the hill descent program and it can get hairy.
#80268 - in reply to #78788
Author
Posted 6/26/2007 8:53 PM
Darkmann

Noodles - 6/26/2007 1:53 AM

If it is in hill descent mode do not tap the brakes if you want the truck to negotiate the hill.
Tapping the brakes over rides the hill descent program and it can get hairy.

I don't think it's hill decent feature - the 163 doesn't have it, at least that's what the book says. I believe it's just the way the trnny is programmed. The vehicle was operating in a mode akin to touch-shift, but just doing it automatically. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say!!!!
#80359 - in reply to #80268
Author
Posted 7/10/2009 8:21 AM
total
New user

Date registered: May 2009

Found this on
http://www.diskdrive.co.za/new_launches/nl2001/mercedes_ml_2002_rev...

"The re-engineered 4-ETS four wheel drive system enhances safety on slippery downhill stretches or when driving down steep off-road inclines. This is because the ECU automatically detects such situations and intervenes as soon as a wheel loses adhesion and, as a consequence, it is not possible to use the full extent of the engine’s braking torque. In such cases, the traction system brakes the wheels, which still have good adhesion and, in doing so, assumes the role of the engine brake. In this instance, the braking force metered by the traction system is exactly the same as the braking torque that the engine would normally provide when decelerating. This automatic braking pressure build-up ensures that, when driving off-road, the M-Class can maintain a constant downhill speed without the need for further driver intervention. Automatic braking pressure control is activated at speeds below 20 km/h when “Low Range” is engaged. "
#153549 - in reply to #78788
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1