Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Cupholder stuck open

Page 1 of 1 1
Cupholder stuck open
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/25/2007 11:11 AM
cleuson

Date registered: Dec 1899
Cupholder stuck open

Hi

This is my first message. Sorry for my english, I am from Brazil.
I own a ML 320 99, and the passenger cupholder is stuck open.

Does anyone knows how to take it off? I tried, but I am afraid to break something.

I appreciate any help
Thank you
Cleuson
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/25/2007 11:26 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Cupholder stuck open

It's stuck open because some soft drink or coffee has gummed it up. I would try spraying a good quality glass cleaner in it to free it up. You could remove the glove box to access it from the back.
#80198 - in reply to #80196
Author
Posted 6/26/2007 7:37 PM
ML430WAU

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Cupholder stuck open

Cleuson,

Yes there probably is spilt gunk preventing the cup holder from opening.

The cup holder does come out quite easily BUT you need to take note of the spring assembly that pushes it open when you depress it to open it. It is a little tricky.

The actual cup holder is also tied in with a latching and speed control mechanism that uses this spring to lock the cup holder back in place when the cup holder is depressed to opens. You need to take note of this as well. Not impossible BUT tricky to assemble. May take you a few tries.

Squeeze the sides of open cup holder and pull GENTLY but firm to one side, it will come out.
You can also slide a very thin flat spatula blade of some manner in between the pivot points at the side of the cup holder when you open it.

Worst case is you will have a cup holder that need you to open it very differently like my passenger side one does. That one does not push open. It needs to pried open with a finger nail or tapped at the bottom end of the front. It actually has a broken latching system, so I have remove that spring off it, so as to keep it closed.

Still works as a cup holder , just not as easy to open.

As mentioned you may wish to spray may some warm water with a mild soap toward the bottom and the back of the cup holder and wash out the gunk.

Hope it works out for you.

ML430WAU
#80356 - in reply to #80196
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1