Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Is the horn supposed to work with the engine off?

Page 1 of 1 1
Is the horn supposed to work with the engine off?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/1/2007 11:09 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Is the horn supposed to work with the engine off?

I hit the horn on accident the other day with the key in the ignition, but in position 0, and the horn sounded. I thought it wasn't supposed to do that? I forgot to try it with the key out of the ignition (if it made any difference).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 8:44 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Is the horn supposed to work with the engine off?

And if it's NOT supposed to, are you going to insist that it be fixed or you're never going to drive it again? I would say it has something to do with the fact you inserted the key in the ignition or just entering the auto enabled it. It's like the driver's seat can be adjusted when you open the driver's door but if you ever sit down and close the door, it won't adjust unless you start it.
#81013 - in reply to #80972
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 11:11 AM
AsianML

cmitch - 7/2/2007 8:44 AM And if it's NOT supposed to, are you going to insist that it be fixed or you're never going to drive it again? I would say it has something to do with the fact you inserted the key in the ignition or just entering the auto enabled it. It's like the driver's seat can be adjusted when you open the driver's door but if you ever sit down and close the door, it won't adjust unless you start it.
No, I won't do anything about it, I'm just wondering how it works because I don't recall it doing this before. iirc on some of the other models, with the ignition off, Homelink, brake lights, and horn don't work.

I don't think this is in the manual...? 

#81017 - in reply to #81013
Author
Posted 7/2/2007 4:27 PM
AsianML

Re: Is the horn supposed to work with the engine off?

It works with the door open and closed and with the key out of the ignition. Never mind, I like it that way.
#81051 - in reply to #81017
Author
Posted 7/5/2007 6:50 AM
Mklasse

As far as i know, on any cars, the horn, emergency lights, headlights, and interior lights should work with the engine off or even without the ignition key inserted. I haven't tried personally on my ML320 though, but I'm almost sure it'll work... even the radio works if you turn it on when the engine is off and ignition key not in place.. which couldn't happen in my Corolla when I had it.
#81314 - in reply to #80972
Author
Posted 7/10/2007 12:52 AM
Darkmann

Mb can't seem to make up their minds on this one. On the ML, AFAIK, for MY02+, the horn will work regardless of key or door position - no key in, key in, door closed or open, horn will work. On earlier models, I don't know. For example, on my 01 E, the horn will not work with the key out of position #1!!!! I have no idea what they've done with later model sedans, but I hope for common sense sake they allow the horn to work independent of any other vehicle functions.
#81693 - in reply to #80972
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1