Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Fin-is???

Page 1 of 1 1
Fin-is???
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 9:51 AM
Dinoman

Date registered: Dec 1899
Fin-is???

Last evening I installed my Schaatz hood fins. The illlustrated instructions said to install them in order, l. to r., #'s6-1, and that only one particular grille part would fit each fin. The far left fin took a bit of work, since I hadn't yet mastered the prong technique. The holes were a good fit, however. The other five went in a bit easier. All are straight and tight. Before installing #1 (far right), I counted nine rows of holes between #'s 1 and 2. When finished, I counted TEN rows between #'s 6 and 5! The slightly larger spacing between the two far left fins is noticeable to me, but they are still more symmetrical than some of my facial features! I don't know whether I should run some floss under the adhesive on the leading edge of # 6 and attempt to remove and then reposition it, or just let it be. There is a very small mark in the paint, probably caused when I tried to wiggle #6 back out. I am afraid that, even if I am successful, I may expose further marks underneath. Has anyone else messed up like this? Should I attempt a fix, or cut my losses? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Dinoman p.s.: I guess I could always say that it is a "one-off," because one is in fact off!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 10:24 AM
ianx, manchester

RE: Fin-is???

How about a picture, then we can give you a better judgement!
#8350 - in reply to #8341
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 12:30 PM
Ynot

Re: Fin-is???

I thought the whole installation process was very simple and did not make a mistake, however IIRC, I didn't not follow the instructions of every 9 spaces, I can't recall how many spaces but it looks more even when I did mine. pics will help us help you better.
#8385 - in reply to #8341
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 12:55 PM
Dinoman

Re: Fin-is???

Ynot, The instructions (in German on one side, and English on the other) made no specific reference to numbers of spaces/rows (I wish they had), but claimed that, much like Goldilocks and the three bears, only one set of holes would be "just right." After completing my installation, I attempted to count spaces on the outer corners of the two grilles, but I was getting cross-eyed in the attempt and soon gave up. What is strange to me is how well the "errant" fin fits in the (supposedly) wrong holes. The leading edge with the adhesive backing doesn't line up on the hood as well as the others, and the exposed sharp edge of the bottom of the fin is what caused the mark, I am sure. I may be the last person in the developed world not in possession of a digital camera, so a photo is a problem at present. I was planning to have a friend shoot a number of shots of the Dinos, the SL and the SLK once the fins were on. As I indicated earlier in another post, I have had construction and remodelling going on, inside and out, and things have been in turmoil. One Dino is scheduled for on-premises repair this Saturday, and I only just took out the SL last Saturday, for a brief drive. I will get pix eventually. Dinoman
#8392 - in reply to #8385
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1