Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : BMW 330i vs ML430, on Gymkana and Link on anti roll bar..

Page 1 of 1 1
BMW 330i vs ML430, on Gymkana and Link on anti roll bar..
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/20/2007 4:46 AM
Tarydesign

Date registered: Dec 1899
BMW 330i vs ML430, on Gymkana and Link on anti roll bar..

Hi all,

WOW, Met up with some of our local Traffic officers doing their skip pan training.. Got speaking to the instructor and asked if I could have a go at the skip pan with gymkana course.. WOW!!!! That ML handles!!
There were +_20 officers driving BMW 330i 's and Toyota Runx RSI's, times on the course were between 33 secs and 48 secs depending on driver/car..
Sit Down..
My times in ML430 were 30 to 33 secs. WOW!!
I turned off the the traction control and tried to slide it, it JUST WOULDN'T LET GO!! Man they stick to the road, okay body roll was severe, but she went where I pointed her!! Aparently the tyres were folding from the forces (255/60/17 Conti's) AND..

Well two months ago I took a look under the car and found the link from the suspension to the anti roll bar was missing on one side.. New part R680-00 ($100-00) I decided to make one out of threaded rod (Same size as original rod), ALuminium tube and Vesconite bushes. I made two so that both sides matched. Well one is gone again (After beating the BMW's)?!?!? The only way it could have gone was if the threaded rod Snapped and the pieces fell off. Has anyone else had problems with these links?

Back to the drawing board on that one..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/8/2007 2:24 PM
wonderphil

Re: BMW 330i vs ML430, on Gymkana and Link on anti roll bar..

Hi,
I'm from Nelspruit SA.
Also drive '01 ML 430, and TATA telcoline,( and Kia shuma 1 automatic)
I work all day in the TATA, (field service mechanic)
I'm really impressed by the durability but I prefer to
drive the ML.
Cheers,
Wonderphil.
#85148 - in reply to #83058
Author
Posted 8/8/2007 9:07 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: BMW 330i vs ML430, on Gymkana and Link on anti roll bar..

I've certainly never heard of that problem before! Did it handle any different after the parts fell off?
#85212 - in reply to #83058
Author
Posted 8/10/2007 9:56 AM
Tarydesign

RE: BMW 330i vs ML430, on Gymkana and Link on anti roll bar..

For Comfort and cruising, I use the ML .. (Strange to use a 4x4 for this purpose), for NAIL Biting Performance I use my E320 ..MAN that one impresses me EVERY day! And for good 'ol work horse, man is that TATA TOUGH!!

So, went away for the weekend (camping) and managed to loose the 'other' Link somewhere.. This has me quizzed, there was NO force on it as I only had it mounted on one side so that the anti roll bar wouldn't rattle or knock the other components while flapping around.. This was the original bolt setup, as the first one that dissapeared. Any ideas??

The answer as to whether it made any difference.. not sure when it fell off and I must admit that whilst away for the weekend, I never noticed that anything was missing!!

I suspect that the wheel travel would be better for offroad use without the anti roll bar attached ??
#85394 - in reply to #83058
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1