Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Squeaky rear brake problems.. kwikfit, red stuff and MB pads..

Page 1 of 1 1
Squeaky rear brake problems.. kwikfit, red stuff and MB pads..
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/20/2007 9:37 PM
ShinyML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Squeaky rear brake problems.. kwikfit, red stuff and MB pads..

I've read virtually all the posts on squeaky rear brakes both here and on the BW forum so I thought I'd write up my own experience with them.
When I first got my ML it had a light squeak that only appeared at parking speed, and only on the rear brakes. Although when I bought the car I knew it was a known issue I thought a new set of pads would cure the problem as the rear discs were only about half way through their life. Decided to go the cheap route with a set of pads from a local brake shop. I had them apply the MB brake grease but the squeak was still there even after 1000 miles or so - they had to go. Next attempt was to fit EBC 10 slot grooved discs (brembo casting) and Red Stuff pads all round - mild squeak then turned into a loud shriek - and not just at parking speeds, any brake action under 40mph was so noisy I had to actually adapt my braking style to try to quieten it... not good. As it was a new set of EBC discs and Red stuff pads all the way round I let this go on for 2000 miles to make sure they were bedded in properly.. made no difference at all. The fronts were totally silent (except for the quiet rumble of the grooves which I kinda like) but the rears were noisier than ever. I was getting to the point where I was considering getting rid of the car , but thought I'd give it one last shot.. went to the stealership and had them look at the problem. Although (as usual with all well publicised known MB issues) they claimed not to have heard of the ML squeaky brake problem the diagnostic tech said that 'no car ever left his workshop squeaking and that if it ever squeaked within the life of pads and discs that they fitted it would be taken care of under warranty by the stealership'. So as a last ditch attempt I put it into the workshop and had MB discs and pads put on the rear.....sucsess at last !!! !!! I now have a totally silent ML...its truely like driving a new car and I'm enjoying it sooo much now. Moral of my story although it pains me to say it.... cheaper or aftermarket is not always best, sometimes it pays to go through the stealership even if it costs (a lot) more initially. And avoid red stuff pads - good for the fronts but hideously loud on the rear.

Edited by ShinyML 7/20/2007 9:58 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/21/2007 4:53 AM
Marcelc

RE: Squeaky rear brake problems.. kwikfit, red stuff and MB pads..

If you come across a dealer instead of a stealer then I find the ML ownership experience improves dramatically.

I buy my own OEM pads, discs, etc. and fit them myself, I don't have a squeaking problem, I save myself lots of dough and I actually enjoy doing the job as the ML brakes (I have the fixed caliper brakes) are so nicely designed, for servicing as well as function.
#83156 - in reply to #83136
Author
Posted 7/21/2007 12:16 PM
ShinyML

RE: Squeaky rear brake problems.. kwikfit, red stuff and MB pads..

I would have liked to have done it myself but my thechnical know-how and equipment only goes as far as basic servicing, oil changing etc.. and I figured that with such an important component as the brakes I didnt want to take the chance of getting it wrong and causing more expense or worse having the brakes fail. Still its done now and I don't have to worry for another couple of years
#83173 - in reply to #83136
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1