Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Looking for Instructions on removing rocker and door molding

Page 1 of 1 1
Looking for Instructions on removing rocker and door molding
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 5:16 PM
JohnL

Date registered: Dec 1899
Looking for Instructions on removing rocker and door molding

I want to remove my rocker molding and the 4 door side molding to get them repainted to match the body, does anyone have the instruction steps to do this?  Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 5:29 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Looking for Instructions on removing rocker and door molding

Body shops make a special tool for this. The last one I seen was an angled looking prybar with rubber-teflon on it. I don't think you will be able to use them once you pull them off because they are adhered pretty good and, most times, it is FUBAR. 

#8517 - in reply to #8503
Author
Posted 5/4/2006 6:06 PM
rudeney

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Looking for Instructions on removing rocker and door molding

I’m fairly certain that the rocker panels are bolted onto from underneath.  IIRC, you have to remove a plastic panel that’s attached to the frame to gain access to the bolts.  It’s not hard, but there are a lot of bolts, nuts and screws to deal with.

As for the side trim “rub strips”, they snap onto the door with plastic clips.  As cmitch mentioned, there is a plastic body shop tool you can use to pry on them without scratching the paint, but even so, you may end up breaking some clips, and IIRC< the clips are actually molded into the rub strip, so breaking them would mean having to replace the whole strip.  You may have better luck removing the interior trim panel from the door to get to the backside of the clips, then use pliers to compress them and push them out.  Of course then you need a door trim tool, and may break some trim clips.  By the way, Tool Warehouse sells a neat set of trim tools:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OLD-7524.html

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/DFX-DF609.html

If you don’t already have a MityVac for oil changes:

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MIT-7201.html

…you might want to order it and these tools together.  Once you have these in your toolbox, you’ll wonder why you never bothered to buy them before.  By the way, you’ll pretty much pay for the MityVac and tools with your first DIY oil change as compared to dealer prices. 

#8535 - in reply to #8503
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1