Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Weak Torsion Bars (or Front Springs)

Page 1 of 1 1
Weak Torsion Bars (or Front Springs)
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/12/2007 8:16 AM
john.cook

Date registered: Dec 1899
Weak Torsion Bars (or Front Springs)

Service guy says my front springs (torsion bars) in my ML 270 are too weak to adjust height of car to correct setting, and thus he can't make wheel alignments to factory setting.
Has anyone heard this one before, and are there stronger bars available?
Thanks
John Cook in Australia
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/12/2007 9:01 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Weak Torsion Bars (or Front Springs)

That's a new one on me, tho I believe it's possible for torsion bars to 'wear out', so to speak. If they're maxed out and still no improvement in height, then I would say you need to 'spring' for new ones. What about your suspension springs located on your front struts? Could they be worn causing difficulty in height adjustment? I'd get a 2nd opinion first.
#85520 - in reply to #85519
Author
Posted 8/13/2007 2:35 AM
john.cook

I'm talking about the long L shaped suspension torsion springs that run from the front wheels, then parallel to the side of the car, ending near the B pillar. These can be used to make fine adjustments in height of the front, and thus alter the wheel alignment.
Are there other springs?
I'm not talking about the sway bar at the very front (it's also a torsion bar).
Thanks
John Cook

#85556 - in reply to #85519
Author
Posted 8/13/2007 7:01 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

john.cook - 8/13/2007 1:35 AM I'm talking about the long L shaped suspension torsion springs that run from the front wheels, then parallel to the side of the car, ending near the B pillar. These can be used to make fine adjustments in height of the front, and thus alter the wheel alignment. Are there other springs? I'm not talking about the sway bar at the very front (it's also a torsion bar). Thanks John Cook

That's what I'm referring to, as well. You'll see there is one on each side of the car. I can't imagine them being worn out but it's possible. I was saying maybe your strut springs are weak, causing more stress on the torsion bars. 

#85670 - in reply to #85556
Author
Posted 9/5/2007 7:03 AM
john.cook

Re: Weak Torsion Bars (or Front Springs)

Today I went to my local motoring organization (RAA - Royal Automobile Association) & had the sagging torsion bars (front springs) checked out - nice bloke says they are unusually long bars (I guessed to give softer ride &/or greater wheel travel). He confirmed that my bars are adjusted UP to the limit. He said that raising or lowering the car via these bars will change the wheel alignment, but not necessarily by enough to worry. He checked "Legal Eyebrow" height (wheel centre to top of fender arch, used by police & government here) & my car is within specs (legal 42cm, mine is 47cm). He checked alignment, & that’s within specs too.
He suggested I ignore everything, and keep an eye on tyre wear. He also said that main cause of sag is probably hard off-road work - bugger! I want to do some more.
Thanks for the help – I’m going to live with it, and watch the tyre wear.
#87916 - in reply to #85519
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1