Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : I am sure it's not a new way

Page 1 of 1 1
I am sure it's not a new way
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/22/2007 6:38 PM
phoenix44

Date registered: Dec 1899
I am sure it's not a new way

But I was getting sick an tired of fixing stone chips one by one, and the leading edge of the rear wheel well was starting to look a little on the sand blasted side.

I wiped the area that I was going to "perfect" with some rubbing alcohol, then a very fine grit wet sand. Then, with a little bit of trepidation, I grabbed the can of black Duplicolor SPRAY- PAINT...

Gave the areas to be worked on about four coats, letting the paint get tacky in between coats.

Finished of with some clear coat spray and let it dry overnight.

Next day, I grabbed the buffer and some Novus # 2 and polished off all of the over spray on the original paint, only leaving my spray paint in the stone chips.

Followed by a wash & Dry followed by a wax with NXT, and then another wash.

Result: Looks fantastic!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/22/2007 8:07 PM
AsianML

Re: I am sure it's not a new way

Any pictures?
#86649 - in reply to #86644
Author
Posted 8/22/2007 8:20 PM
phoenix44

Re: I am sure it's not a new way

AsianML - 8/22/2007 8:07 PM

Any pictures?

Unfortunatly, I did not take any "before" photos. But trust me, any one that has a dark ML and has put a bunch of miles on gravel will know what I mean about the rear wheel wells.

I think it looks very close to perfect and there is no way anyone could tell that the leading edge of the rear W/ws ever had a mark on them.

The stone chips on the front of the hood are perfectly blended with the rest of the hood, however, there are still the depressions in the surface from the chips.

I think that it does a much better job than the chip repair brush from the dealer, or the "paint pen".

I think I'll find out what my Porsche body shop uses to fill the tiny nicks.
#86652 - in reply to #86649
Author
Posted 8/23/2007 10:19 PM
Darkmann

RE: I am sure it's not a new way

That's a neat temporary good looks intervention. But you know what's going to happen though in a couple of months - all that work will be "grated" off from winter harshness. Then you'd have to DIY all over again a 3 summer's time!!!! Funny, I don't have this problem - than again, we barely have winters here. How bad is it really??
#86779 - in reply to #86644
Author
Posted 8/24/2007 8:17 AM
phoenix44

RE: I am sure it's not a new way

Let me put it this way, if the ML was gray, you probably would not notice the Wheel well stuff to much, but with a black ML, when it's all nice and clean the leading edge of the wheel wells just looked...well, gray. I doubt that the pain that I applied will last all that long, but I am pretty sure that it will last through this winter and then I'll get a "proper" job done at the Porsche body shop. After that I will definitely get the 3M stone guard applied to the areas that are most susceptible.

It's raining here at the moment, but if it lets up I'll post a couple of photos.
#86805 - in reply to #86779
Author
Posted 8/24/2007 7:59 PM
phoenix44

RE: I am sure it's not a new way PICS

Here are some pics. The close up of the leading edge of the rear wheel well does not have any specks on it that I can see with my eyes, maybe the flash picked something up?

(ml55x1.jpg)

(ml55x2.jpg)

(ml55x.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ml55x1.jpg (30KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments ml55x2.jpg (66KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments ml55x.jpg (37KB - 6 downloads)
#86872 - in reply to #86644
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1