Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Gearbox dropping a gear too often..

Page 1 of 1 1
Gearbox dropping a gear too often..
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/8/2007 4:04 AM
Tarydesign

Date registered: Dec 1899
Gearbox dropping a gear too often..

OK so I have fitted the new MAF and all seems good so far.. (Still not sure, but I feel that it had MORE power without the MAF), but I'm sure my cold morning chugger chugger issues will be gone..

But now its politely reminded me that for some reason the gearbox likes to drop gears (Sometimes down to third) on long uphills This is a V8 for heavens sake, USE the Torque you silly car!!!

Is this unusual or does anyone else have this same problem. You just know that it doesn't have to drop a gear (or 2) and will pull quite happily up the hill and then.. down it drops! (And up goes fuel consumption!!)

Is there an udjustment on the gearbox??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/19/2007 12:41 AM
Noodles

Re: Gearbox dropping a gear too often..

At about 45-50 mph ours has always dropped to 3rd gear on steep grades.
#92861 - in reply to #91305
Author
Posted 10/19/2007 1:40 AM
Tarydesign

RE: Gearbox dropping a gear too often..

Yup, that sounds about right- at least that means theres nothing wrong!!

PS my E320 ('96) model has a 4 speed auto box that hooks 4th at around 30mph and runs up to 155mph and will never drop a gear on ANY hill (if you squeeze the pedal she will pick up speed in 4th!!) unless you floor the pedal!! On the same incline, at the same speed the ML430 will drop to 3rd!!

Is this gearbox Vacuum controlled?? How does the Gearbox make the decision to drop a gear? If electronic, what sensors tell the electronics that it needs to drop a gear? I REALLY want to use the torque and not drop a gear and watch the MPG Drop!!
#92864 - in reply to #91305
Author
Posted 10/19/2007 7:34 AM
Marcelc

RE: Gearbox dropping a gear too often..

Tarydesign - 10/19/2007 6:40 AM

Yup, that sounds about right- at least that means theres nothing wrong!!

PS my E320 ('96) model has a 4 speed auto box that hooks 4th at around 30mph and runs up to 155mph and will never drop a gear on ANY hill (if you squeeze the pedal she will pick up speed in 4th!!) unless you floor the pedal!! On the same incline, at the same speed the ML430 will drop to 3rd!!

Is this gearbox Vacuum controlled?? How does the Gearbox make the decision to drop a gear? If electronic, what sensors tell the electronics that it needs to drop a gear? I REALLY want to use the torque and not drop a gear and watch the MPG Drop!!

You might try a gearbox reset (repeated here for convenience):

This procedure resets the transmission ECU adaptive learning algorithm:

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

(Got this from PointedThree.com – by Phoenix44).

#92894 - in reply to #92864
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1