Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Throttle body

Page 1 of 1 1
Throttle body
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/17/2007 8:20 AM
MADSLEG

Date registered: Dec 1899
Throttle body

I replaced EGR valve,cleaned EGR tube,
how i clean throttle body ???
Anybody has done it ?
Pictures ?
TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/18/2007 2:17 AM
Tarydesign

RE: Throttle body

I assume you are talking about your low MPG problem..
I couldn't see which engine you have, but on the ML430, there are two "Secondary air injection" Pnuematic valves that were blocked solid on mine. They can be found directly in front on top of the engine (Side by side of the Blower) when you remove the plastic cover. I removed and cleaned them carefully, they have a spring loaded rubber valve which was stuck shut!! This could explain your "running rich" theory.
#92768 - in reply to #92636
Author
Posted 11/9/2007 1:05 PM
texasdanml430

Re: Throttle body

i have done it twice. worked great first time. gas mileage improved dramatically, for about a month. second time, so so. same technique. go figure. not the easiest thing to do. pull the hood all the way open. pull the big cover. take apart all the intake junk. that last connection between the throttle body and the intake plastic is the worst part. 2 clips, top one not bad, bottom breaks easily (dont ask me how i know) very hard to see. get a flashlight and mirror. you can open the throttle butterfly by just pushing on it since its connected to a coiled spring on the throttle acutator motor. it carbons up pretty black. get small rag, soak it in berrymans/carb cleaner/lacquer thinner/your choice of solvent de jour, and go to town. all this while crouched on your knees on the intake manifold.

typically for me anyway, she idles VERY smoothly afterward, and throttle response is exceptionally crisp. fuel economy improves slightly. lasts about a month, then back to same-o.

you're one up on me. i can NOT get that nut loose on the egr pipe!

now, i need to see if my motor has those secondary air injection valves tarydesign mentioned.

off topic, but how are your grabber at2's holding up? i'm having to run lower than expected tire pressure since the center treads seem to be wearing prematurely.
#95685 - in reply to #92636
Author
Posted 11/9/2007 1:09 PM
texasdanml430

oops almost forgot. unless you are double jointed, the coolant reservoir has to be removed also. not too tough, and definitely in the way.
#95687 - in reply to #92636
Author
Posted 11/9/2007 3:02 PM
MADSLEG

texasdanml430 - 11/9/2007 1:05 PM

off topic, but how are your grabber at2's holding up? i'm having to run lower than expected tire pressure since the center treads seem to be wearing prematurely.

I had them for 2 years or so and i like then,didnt expect this much from a 100 dollar tires, but i like it now ))
usualy i keep then between 40 and 45 pcis
I just made this pictures-IMHO tires look like new

]

]

]

(IMG00218.jpg)

(IMG00219.jpg)

(IMG00220.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG00218.jpg (39KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG00219.jpg (40KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments IMG00220.jpg (32KB - 3 downloads)
#95711 - in reply to #95685
Author
Posted 11/14/2007 4:24 PM
texasdanml430

hey, tary was right!

those little cans on the front of the motor, left and right. my screws were VERY tight with hot engine, but busted loose when cold. pulled them off the motor. not stopped up, but some crud inside. cleaned with carb cleaner, hooked up my mightyvac to the vacuum line to make sure they were working. mine seem to open at about 10" of vacuum. shot a BUNCH of carb cleaner thru them with them pulled open. goofy looking reed valve type thingys inside the top of the alum. posts on the motor. didnt want to come out with moderate effort, so blasted them in place with carb cleaner also. put her all back together. TA DA!. on very light throttle, the trip computer says i'm doing on average 2 mpg better on instantaneous mpg readings! averaged mpg is also up about 2 mpg!! havent done a fill-up yet, so, your mileage may vary. but with todays gas prices, anything helps.

i cant really tell where these ports go, to the intake plenum to lean out the mixture, or to the front two exhaust ports inside the heads. could be part of the egr air feed, or ????

tire thing: well my general grabber at2's dont look anything like yours, 'sleg. the tread pattern is definitely an off-road type pattern. more like the bfg all terrain. i'll get some photeaux when my camera is working. still, i agree, pretty darn good for hundred dollar tires. i'm down to 25 lbs now for non-towing, 39 rear and 32 front when pulling the 5k lb boat and trailer. mine are the 'wrong' size (taller and skinnier), but i like 'em pretty well, despite the 10% speedo error. seems the 2 ply sidewalls are a little squishy in faster tighter turns, but i dont do much of that anyway.

thanks tary!
#96233 - in reply to #92636
Author
Posted 11/16/2007 9:31 AM
Tarydesign

RE: Throttle body

Well glad I could help..

As far as I could tell, they do just as the name (In the fuse box) says "Secondary air injection" they are basically an electric supercharger.. Well ok they try!! They try to force air into the intake manifold, mixing with more fuel and TA DA, more power!!

Ok so when they are all crudded up, the two valves don't open and you just get a richer mix, since the ecu doesn't understand crud it expects more air to be available and hence adds more fuel, and you put your foot harder on the gas to get the same power with more fuel!!

I expect that the inside of the intake manifold will also be so full of crud?!?!?!? Anyone taken one off to check?? did it help?

Gary..
#96505 - in reply to #92636
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1