Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Steering whine

Page 1 of 1 1
Steering whine
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/19/2007 1:20 PM
ronman

Date registered: Dec 1899
Steering whine

Got the steering whine I have seen discussed but I'm not sure it is the same. The whine on my '04 ML350 is most easily heard when the car is in park or neutral. You can hear it a little when coming to a stop. You can't hear it when you turn the wheel. Am I looking at a bad power steering pump or rack? I've never heard a PS pump that didn't get louder when you turn the wheel and put load on the system. Any help would be appreciated and I'll keep you posted.

PS. Anybody have a plastic squeak in the steering wheel. It is driving the wife crazy and if I don't get these 2 issues fixed she is dead set on a new car. The squeak is just that when turning the wheel. It is inside the cabin somewhere near the wheel itself. I tried getting some white lithium grease in there and it helped for a minute but came back. Thanks for any help. Lot's of good info on this forum.
Ronnie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/20/2007 12:02 AM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew
RE: Steering whine

Your power steering could be one of many issues. I would check and see if you are leaking fluid. Usually, if you are leaking out fluid, you will see low fluid and air bubbles in the reservoir when removing the dip stick cap. It can leak around the o-ring on the hose end at the rack, the reservoir or at the return hose. Mine turned out to be a cracked fluid reservoir which was $28.95 for the part from Duval Motor Cars.
#93009 - in reply to #92929
Author
Posted 10/20/2007 8:06 PM
ronman

RE: Steering whine

Unfortunatley it looks like there is no leak. The fluid level is fine and I even flushed it out a couple times and added new fluid to see if that would help. Going in to the dealer Monday. The A/C compressor was replaced about a year ago under warranty. Now I'm out of warranty. Anybody think it might be a pulley?
#93093 - in reply to #92929
Author
Posted 11/2/2007 10:23 AM
tzetter

Re: Steering whine

I had a squeak from what sounded like the area where the steering wheel joined with the rest of the assembly when I turned. It sounded like it was clearly inside the cabin and was just something that needed lubrication, but when I had the dealer check it it in fact turned out to be the power steering rack. My truck has had TWO rack replacements in its 92,000 mile life plus the leaky resevoir/gasket issue at another time. Seems like this is one of those trouble-spots. The rack swaps were both under warranty but if not they are $$ (like $1200+ I think).
#94641 - in reply to #92929
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1