Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : How do you decide when it's time to replace the front shocks

Page 1 of 1 1
How do you decide when it's time to replace the front shocks
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/10/2006 5:43 PM
bigcatny

Date registered: Dec 1899
How do you decide when it's time to replace the front shocks

Now that may car's approaching 53,000 miles I'm thinking that it's feeling a bit loose and a touch harsher when going over bumps and expansion joints. How do you decide when it's time to swap the front shocks. I did the bounce the front up and down test and it stopped very quickly but I'll assume shocks deteriorate gradually. Since we have more than our share of seriously rough roads here in the city perhaps they have given the originals quite a beating by now. I swapped out the rears 10 or 15,000 miles ago because of the squeaking. Immediate improvement in ride quality.

Opinions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 10:23 AM
rudeney

RE: How do you decide when it's time to replace the front shocks

It used to be that shocks were due to be replaced every 25K miles, but today’s units are much better.  I replaced my front shocks just shy of 70K to try to resolve some front-end vibration (which turned out to be a bad tie-rod end and a poorly balanced tire).  They were still “checking” and passing the fender-bounce test, but once I removed them and compared them to the new shocks, I could tell they were worn. 

After installing the new ones (Bilsteins), the ride was much improved.  There is one Interstate entrance ramp I take everyday where there’s a curve with a dip.  At 70mph on the old shocks, I’d feel a pretty good lifting of the front suspension, sometimes enough to activate ESP.  With the new shocks, there’s very little lifting.  Some people have complained that the Bilsteins are too harsh, but I would not say so.  They are more firm than the OEM’s, especially in cold temperatures, but then again, I’m comparing OEM shocks with nearly 70K miles to brand-new ones.  The ride is just fine to me.

#9800 - in reply to #9623
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 12:03 PM
cmitch
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4Matic, 2010 F150 Super Crew

rudeney - 5/11/2006 9:23 AM

It used to be that shocks were due to be replaced every 25K miles, but today’s units are much better. I replaced my front shocks just shy of 70K to try to resolve some front-end vibration (which turned out to be a bad tie-rod end and a poorly balanced tire). They were still “checking” and passing the fender-bounce test, but once I removed them and compared them to the new shocks, I could tell they were worn.

After installing the new ones (Bilsteins), the ride was much improved. There is one Interstate entrance ramp I take everyday where there’s a curve with a dip. At 70mph on the old shocks, I’d feel a pretty good lifting of the front suspension, sometimes enough to activate ESP. With the new shocks, there’s very little lifting. Some people have complained that the Bilsteins are too harsh, but I would not say so. They are more firm than the OEM’s, especially in cold temperatures, but then again, I’m comparing OEM shocks with nearly 70K miles to brand-new ones. The ride is just fine to me.

Rodney, who has the best price on Bilsteins right now? Thanks, Clayton 

#9813 - in reply to #9800
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 12:28 PM
rudeney

cmitch - 5/11/2006 11:03 AM

Rodney, who has the best price on Bilsteins right now? Thanks, Clayton 

I’m not sure – it’s been several months since I bought mine.  Actually, I searched “the old forum” and found it was October when I did this!  Gee how time flies!  I ordered through eshocks.com and paid just over $200 delivered (I just checked and they are $102.05 each, with free shipping for orders over $200, so that’s about the same price I paid).

Edited by rudeney 5/11/2006 12:29 PM
#9818 - in reply to #9813
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 4:09 PM
cmitch
Expert

I appreciate the info, Rodney. I'll bookmark the page and get them on order a little later.
#9857 - in reply to #9623
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 4:22 PM
JohnL

I gotten mine from the same place.  Good price and service.

I recently replaced my shocks (all 4), I had almost 80K, before the replacement whenever I hit rough road the ML wasn't handling the way it use to.  On sharp turns in the highway it took more effort to control the vehicle.  After the shock replacement, I noticed much better handling and reduced road noise.

Edited by JohnL 5/11/2006 4:30 PM
#9860 - in reply to #9818
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 5:11 PM
cmitch
Expert

SFAIK, I'm on the original shocks. I've noticed the left side of the vehicle sits lower than the right and it appears to be coming from the rear suspension.
#9877 - in reply to #9623
Author
Posted 5/11/2006 7:29 PM
Noodles

Re: How do you decide when it's time to replace the front shocks

THe springs eventually sag. When I out the new OEM ones in the truck it was sitting almost a full 1.25" higher
#9910 - in reply to #9623
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 5:57 PM
bigcatny

Re: How do you decide when it's time to replace the front shocks

Yeah, I think I'm feeling some looseness in the steering less damping when hitting the bumps and the wheels feel less in control coming out of the bumps so maybe it's time to swap out the shocks. Time to shop the internet for parts......
#11625 - in reply to #9623
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1