Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : appropriate wheel size?

Page 1 of 1 1
appropriate wheel size?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/27/2007 2:16 PM
sgtpepperaut

Date registered: Jan 2007

appropriate wheel size?

i want to go with the 20' looks wise however as i am visiting several stores today they all tell me that 20" is a pretty rough ride....

i am sure somone has 20 on their ml around here i was just wondering if its really such an issue....

also they seem to have problems findind wheels for the m class since it has bolts going in the car instead of studs coming out....

i would appreciate any help!

i need rims and tires...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/5/2007 8:57 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: appropriate wheel size?

I assume you meant 20 inch and not 20 feet. Now that we've taken care of that, yes there are people here riding on 20s and it all depends on your taste. If you tire it well, you'll not feel the bumps that much. If you go Lo profile, you'll need your kidney replaced in a couple of weeks. As far as fitment, any reputable shop will sell you a good set with the right lugs. There are plenty out there with the ML's bolt pattern. What you have to be cautious is the length of the lugs and the wheel offset. You'll s a ton of mid-thirties offset, meaning you'll need a spacer. Not a problem if properly sized, but it's stuff you should know.

The one thing I don't like about the 20s is that most of them come in widths not more than 10 inch. If you want a really good look, go with nothing less than 10 inches. Infact, if you can find 11 or 12, do it.
#95075 - in reply to #93915
Author
Posted 4/17/2008 7:11 AM
CelestialBar1

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: appropriate wheel size?

Hi there,

just giving my contribution here, may be late.. but may be good for other people looking into the same subject. I had a 99 ML320 with 22" rims and 295/30/22 tires. The handling of the car was absolutely fantastic and at no point I had the feeling that it was rough. The car was an absolute head turner and I had no problem selling at a much higher price, just because it looked so different from other ML's (London UK has an amazing number of used MLs on the market).

The only annoying issue was that I would very easyly touch any obstacle that was 3 or 4 inches high directly with the rim.. so this is a solution that is for those who drive mainly in town. You might want to keep your original rims for the Big Jim games off road.

My present ML is a AMG 55 with full body and inside conversion. It came with original AMG 18" rims and 285/55/18 tires... I will soon put the 22 RIMS on like my prior ML.

I hope I manage to post some pics of the old one.

(Copy of 4df4_1.jpg)

(ML 1.jpg)

(ML 3.jpg)

(ML 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Copy of 4df4_1.jpg (32KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments ML 1.jpg (32KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments ML 3.jpg (31KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments ML 2.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
#117340 - in reply to #93915
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1