Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W164 & W166 M-Class : 320CDI - Engine Air & Fuel Filters Changed

Page 1 of 2 12
320CDI - Engine Air & Fuel Filters Changed
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 11/24/2007 3:53 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
320CDI - Engine Air & Fuel Filters Changed

This job is not your average DIY job; and since the air filters have to be removed to access the fuel fiulter, it's definitely a job to be done at the same time.

25K on my ML320CDI. Disassembly is major to remove and change the filters. (Why can't they make them as easy as the oil filter?!??!!) Neither the W164 nor the R320CDI Service DVD's provide complete instructions. It's a matter of removing this to get at that - some of which is intuitive and some of which is not. It'll take me 6-8 hrs before all is said and done. Next time it will probably be 2-3 hrs.

The air filters were so dirty that they were almost sealed over with trash. I'll bet my fuel economy and/or engine power improve with this maintenance.

My recommendation is to let your favorite trusted mechanic do it for you; and, no, I didn't take pictures.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 11/26/2007 8:51 AM
CJzBenz

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle(s): '07 ML320CDI, '94 Vette, '99 F150, '01 Goldwing

RE: 320CDI - Engine Air & Fuel Filters Changed

Dang Dutch! And I here I am relying on your previous posts for guidance for my own DIY maintenance. I'm coming up on 20K and have oil, fuel and oil filters, a link to WIS and a case of beer. NOW you tell me to take it to a "trusted mechanic". I guess I'll have to slug it out for myself. I'm surprised the air filters (and housing) need to be removed as the fuel filter looks accessible. Where did you get the air filters? I've got a feeler out for a source other than M-B but have not gotten any responses. BTW: Thanks for sharing your expertise.
-Chris

Edited by CJzBenz 11/26/2007 8:52 AM
#97479 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 11/26/2007 8:29 PM
DUTCH

CJzBenz - 11/26/2007 8:51 AM

Dang Dutch! And I here I am relying on your previous posts for guidance for my own DIY maintenance. I'm coming up on 20K and have oil, fuel and oil filters, a link to WIS and a case of beer. NOW you tell me to take it to a "trusted mechanic". I guess I'll have to slug it out for myself. I'm surprised the air filters (and housing) need to be removed as the fuel filter looks accessible. Where did you get the air filters? I've got a feeler out for a source other than M-B but have not gotten any responses. BTW: Thanks for sharing your expertise.
-Chris

Got 'em from Duval. Air filters were $36 and the fuel filter was $38. MB branded parts.
#97580 - in reply to #97479
Author
Posted 11/28/2007 8:34 AM
CJzBenz

I have never ordered from Duval before. Are you referring to Duval Motorcars in Florida? I want to make sure I contact the right folks. Are there any forum discounts or a point-of-contact? Thanks as always,
-Chris
#97794 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 11/28/2007 4:59 PM
DUTCH

CJzBenz - 11/28/2007 8:34 AM

I have never ordered from Duval before. Are you referring to Duval Motorcars in Florida? I want to make sure I contact the right folks. Are there any forum discounts or a point-of-contact? Thanks as always,
-Chris

Duval in Gainesville, FL. There is no special group discount; but tell Steve Foster that I referred you. You might get a little more attention.
#97879 - in reply to #97794
Author
Posted 12/4/2007 6:46 PM
dmcginn2
Regular

Date registered: Apr 2007
Re: 320CDI - Engine Air & Fuel Filters Changed

You are my hero man.

On a related note, a new neighbor moved in across the street from Stuttgart Germany. He saw my ML-320 CDI and asked how I liked it. I told him I bought it for the engine more than anything else.

Well long story short, this guy worked on the prototype for the ML class in Stuttgart. I was like yeah right, but he took me through the car pretty good. I guess his job was to do the body and figure out where to fit things in it like the battery, ECU and what not.

I desperately wanted to know why the dang air filters are impossible to replace. It's the only complaint I really have about this vehicle other than the ugly rear door/hatch.

So anyway, I meant to ask, why were your filter's so dirty? Did you do off roading or drive in a dirty environment? Or just normal day to day down the road kind of stuff?

#98760 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 12/5/2007 7:29 PM
DUTCH

dmcginn2 - 12/4/2007 6:46 PM

So anyway, I meant to ask, why were your filter's so dirty? Did you do off roading or drive in a dirty environment? Or just normal day to day down the road kind of stuff?

Just normal driving. Nothing off road. That's what the G is for.
#98957 - in reply to #98760
Author
Posted 1/3/2008 9:19 AM
CJzBenz

First post of the New Year here! So Happy New Year to everyone.

I took the plunge and did the dreaded fuel filter change this past weekend. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to use the Startek website after I bought my 24 hour subscription. I found the ML320 motor data under the W164 chassis after I looked at the R320 info. So for anybody else going on-line for the data you don't have to look in two places.

Following the procedures was not too bad although you have to jump from one section to another as the overall procedure is linked on-line to sub tasks. I just read through them first and then printed it all out. I never did find a way to save them on my hard disk directly from Startek.

It does take some tugging to pull the passenger (right side) air filter housing out of it's mounting grommets. After loosening all three clamps you have to pull it forward from the back and push it in (towards the motor). It took me about 10 minutes of probing, poking and pulling before it all started to come loose. I also disconnected two sensor plugs and pulled the plenum between the left side air filter housing and turbo off. I left the other air filter in place. My filters still looked in good shape so I'll replace them later.

Next I had to figure out how the CLIC pliers worked to remove the hose clamps. Replacing the filter and O-rings on the water sensor was pretty straight forward and Startek has good pictures.

During reassembly I used some dielectric grease on the air filter mounting pins (for lack of a better name) and joints. That should make disassembly next time easier. Like Dutch says, next time the job will go faster.

#103036 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 3/22/2008 12:26 PM
DUTCH

I just discovered that the ECU Adaptation needs to be reset after new air filters are installed. Interesting!
#114953 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 3/25/2008 1:19 PM
lkchris
Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle(s): '07 GL320CDI, '06 E320CDI

DUTCH - 3/22/2008 10:26 AM I just discovered that the ECU Adaptation needs to be reset after new air filters are installed. Interesting!

I see that, too.

It's actually pretty cool if engine management can self adjust for a partially plugged filter, although you'd think MAF sensor could just do it every time without need to "remember" anything.

I bet this is more a "check" than a "reset."  Especially if replaced filter wasn't too bad.

Edited by lkchris 3/25/2008 1:29 PM
#115154 - in reply to #114953
Author
Posted 3/25/2008 1:37 PM
DUTCH

lkchris - 3/25/2008 1:19 PM

DUTCH - 3/22/2008 10:26 AM I just discovered that the ECU Adaptation needs to be reset after new air filters are installed. Interesting!

I see that, too.

It's actually pretty cool if engine management can self adjust for a partially plugged filter, although you'd think MAF sensor could just do it every time without need to "remember" anything.

I bet this is more a "check" than a "reset." Especially if replaced filter wasn't too bad.

The replaced filter was just about plugged solid.

I let it reset - and it is a reset - this weekend using the DAS/SDS about 8500 miles after that filter change. Mistake!

The tranny is now hammering its way from 2->1 gear when cold; and that had pretty much gone away. Hopefully, it will readapt itself, eventually.
#115156 - in reply to #115154
Author
Posted 4/18/2008 1:50 AM
bmwm3csl

Date registered: Dec 1899

Ok, I plan to replace my air filters this weekend but I don't see any mention about an ECU adaptation reset. What is it and where do you find the instructions? I have the CD's for both the R251 & the W164, where is it listed?

Thanks in advance
Andy
#117464 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 4/18/2008 8:41 AM
DUTCH

bmwm3csl - 4/18/2008 1:50 AM

Ok, I plan to replace my air filters this weekend but I don't see any mention about an ECU adaptation reset. What is it and where do you find the instructions? I have the CD's for both the R251 & the W164, where is it listed?

Thanks in advance
Andy

It's not there. It's in the Star Diagnosis System; and in real life, probably doesn't need to be done.
#117484 - in reply to #117464
Author
Posted 6/3/2008 4:33 PM
bmwm3csl

I meant to post this comment after changing my air & fuel filters last month....

First, I would like to strongly recommend to everyone that you change your air filters at 10K miles and not the 20K that MB recommends. Mine were very dirty and since changing them I have seen an increase in overall fuel mileage.

I also agree with Dutch in his original comment that most people will/should probably opt for bringing their vehicle into the dealer to have these 2 items replaced. For simple filter changes the MB engineers really did a poor design job if you ask me. The replacement of these 2 items is much more complicated than it should be.

10K miles from now I will again be needing to have my air & fuel filters replaced; only difference is I will be dropping it off at the dealer to let them have all the fun.
#122849 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 6/4/2008 12:16 PM
GwagenLover
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2016 G550 & 2016 GLE350

So, I am wondering what the MAF sensor is......Please explain and how often must it be changed?
#122966 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 5/30/2009 10:35 PM
ml320cdi

mass air flow ---tells engine how much air is goin in
#151558 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 12/23/2009 8:35 PM
PaulAustin

Guys - help! I just did the full air filter and fuel filter change on my ML320 CDI with success. Took about 2 hours total. Added the K&N filter set. I took pictures of the process and documented the tools needed etc and will be posting the solution here on the board. BUT.... the car is not driving well now. Feels like the computer is not tuned right given the increased air flow (old filters were PLUGGED UP at 33,000 miles) and it is running rough under acceleration. I see mention here of DAS/SDS and an ECU reset. What are the steps required to perform this? Is there a computer diagnosis tool required? Would a local auto parts store be able to help with this (i.e with a loaner tool). Will the car adapt to the changed airflow on it's own? I dread taking it to the dealership for help at this point! Thanks in advance! Paul
#162567 - in reply to #97316
Author
Posted 12/25/2009 6:15 AM
DUTCH

Paul,

Knowing where you are would be helpful (My Profile), but I'll ass=u=me the US.

The SDS is a MB only tool. Your local auto parts store will not have it or be able to re-adapt your engine. Some independent shops have it, but a dealer does for sure.

Did you go with the oiled K&N filters? I hope not. They will foul the MAF sensors, and could be the cause of your problems.

Do you have all the air bled out of the fuel filter and the fuel hose clamps are tight>
#162647 - in reply to #162567
Author
Posted 12/26/2009 5:45 PM
PaulAustin

Dutch - thanks for your quick reply and guidance.

After looking over the car again, I found that I had missed one of the plugs feeding an electronic sensor on the driver-side air filter box (me=dummy!). I replaced that one plug and the car immediately started to perform like normal. The check engine light did stay on for about 90 miles, but then the next day it did not come on any more. So it looks like the problem is ironed out. Now I am watching the fuel economy to see if there has been any change from that perspective.

I bought this ML320 CDI with 25,000 miles on it (has 33,000 now) and I think this might have been the first air filter change. They were VERY plugged up - mainly with bugs.

I did use the K&N filters and am aware of the potential problems with MAF sensors. Over many years of using these filters I have had good luck so I will keep my fingers crossed with the ML320. The Toyota Tundra community has complained of the same issue, but I never experienced it with my truck at all.

I did pick up a couple CLIC clamps also at the dealer for the fuel lines; the fuel filter swap seems to have gone well with no suprises.

Overall, the job took me about 2 hours to do. Next time it will take about 1 hour or less. I need to pick up a couple more tools to make the job easier. I had to improvise on several areas where I did not have the right fitting tool. An example is the clamp holding the fuel filter in place (I ended up using a T-30 torx bit and vise grips to loosen that). I would like to pick up a proper fitting allen wrench for the fuel filter (the type that is mounted to use with a socket wrench), CLIC pliers for removal/instal on fuel lines, etc.

One thing I did do in advance of the next change/air filter cleaning is to shave off part of the outside of the driver-side air filter box. There is a small plastic finger sticking out for no reason. It's about 1 inch long. I used a Dremel tool to smooth it over. This let me slide the filter box down in place a little easier, and avoid tearing up the engine insulation above that filter (I tore it when first removing that side in the beginning). As you know, every millimeter counts in when trying to remove/install those darn air boxes.

Thanks again for your posts to this forum - it was very helpful to me. I plan to put together a webpage with photo's of the job, tools, and steps needed at some point and will put the URL here also.

Regards,

Paul

#162712 - in reply to #162647
Author
Posted 12/27/2009 11:34 AM
DUTCH

A missing plug will definitely have negative effects on how the engine runs. That's for sure! Also, I'm pretty sure that the engine will readapt itself without the SDS reset.

Did you remove the two panels at the top of the firewall. It makes removing and reinstalling the filter boxes a walk in the park.

Also, be careful when replacing the intake tiube on the turbocharger inlet. It's easy to cut that rubber seal; and if you do, you'll end up with oil leaks under your engine.

I did away with the CLIC clamps. I couldn't get the replacements to stop a very small fuel leak. I replaced them with standard stainless screw clamps; and no more problems.
#162735 - in reply to #162712
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12