Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : Unimog : Brakes, Water Expansion Tank and New Batteries?

Page 1 of 1 1
Brakes, Water Expansion Tank and New Batteries?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 1/19/2009 9:08 PM
gomogwild

Date registered: Dec 1899
Brakes, Water Expansion Tank and New Batteries?

Hi I have a few questions / problems that were not answered by the manuals that I have for the S404.1.

After bleeding the brakes - Master cylinder, driver side rear, passenger side rear, passenger side front and then the drivers side front and no leaks showing the brakes still go soft. If I pump the brakes they get hard again (and still no leaks) but if I wait they go soft again. Do I have to rebuild the Master cylinder?

Checking the manual I noticed that there is no indication as to how much fluid to add to the Water Expansion Tank? I thought that I saw somewhere that the level needed to be to the bottom of the neck of the tanks refill port!

Has anyone tried the AGM batteries in the 404? Some are using them in the Pinzgauers?
I was looking at the spec’s of the AGM Impulse Electronics battery P/N BA-UB12900-ds
The original battery has a 55Ah rating (according to the manual) this battery has a 90Ah rating. The stock battery is about 10mm less in width, 4mm less in length and about 20mm in height (as best that I could get with a metric tape measure. So I do not see any reason that it would not work. The stock Generator (alternator) is 24v – 19a – 27a (300 – 750 Watts). I do not know which one I have in the S404.1 troop carrier.

http://www.impulseelectronics.com/pdfs/BA-UB12900-ds.pdf http://www.impulseelectronics.com/batteries.htm...

Jay
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/25/2009 1:06 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: Brakes, Water Expansion Tank and New Batteries?

gomogwild - 1/19/2009 7:08 PM

Hi I have a few questions / problems that were not answered by the manuals that I have for the S404.1.

After bleeding the brakes - Master cylinder, driver side rear, passenger side rear, passenger side front and then the drivers side front and no leaks showing the brakes still go soft. If I pump the brakes they get hard again (and still no leaks) but if I wait they go soft again. Do I have to rebuild the Master cylinder?

Sounds like a good possibility to me. It is possible the fliud is getting past old seals in the master causing the brakes to be soft.

Checking the manual I noticed that there is no indication as to how much fluid to add to the Water Expansion Tank? I thought that I saw somewhere that the level needed to be to the bottom of the neck of the tanks refill port!

I do not know the exact answer but it is an expansion tank. If there is fluid in it when the engine is hot, and when the engine is cold, the level really doesn't matter, it is doing its job. The amount of fluid in the expansion tank has no bearing on the effectiveness of the cooling system. It is simply there, as its name suggest, for coolant expansion.

Has anyone tried the AGM batteries in the 404? Some are using them in the Pinzgauers?
I was looking at the spec’s of the AGM Impulse Electronics battery P/N BA-UB12900-ds
The original battery has a 55Ah rating (according to the manual) this battery has a 90Ah rating. The stock battery is about 10mm less in width, 4mm less in length and about 20mm in height (as best that I could get with a metric tape measure. So I do not see any reason that it would not work. The stock Generator (alternator) is 24v – 19a – 27a (300 – 750 Watts). I do not know which one I have in the S404.1 troop carrier.

http://www.impulseelectronics.com/pdfs/BA-UB12900-ds.pdf http://www.impulseelectronics.com/batteries.htm...

Jay

There is no issue with using more, or more powerful batteries. Just make sure the wiring is correct for a 12v or 24v system. I prefer Odyssey batteries with the steel case. I ran three 900 series batteries in my 416. Whatever you can fit will work.
#141766 - in reply to #141290
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1