Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class DIY Forum : 24v to 12v conversion

Page 1 of 1 1
24v to 12v conversion
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/21/2011 6:43 PM
autonovice
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle(s): '05 G55K, '92 350GDT
24v to 12v conversion

I know more and more ex military Gs are avail on the market. Unfortunately, these all
come in 24v system. Replacement parts are expensive and rare if you can come across any.
Fortunately, there are parts avail to turn your G to a 12v system. I had the luxury of doing
it in a public parking garage over three nights, this past record snow winter! Yes it was cold
and I only had hand tools and a LED flash light affixed to my forehead to work with.

This is the inventory check list of 24v -> 12v parts needed. This is for a diesel setup.

1) head lights - 2
2) all around signal and indicator lights -
3) interior lights and map light -
4) front and rear wiper motors - 2
5) front and rear wiper washer motors - 2
6) alternator - 1
7) starter - 1
8) glow plugs - 5
9) glow plug relay - 1
10) front and rear wiper relays - 2
11) turn signal relay - 1
13) horn - 1
14) heater blower - 1
15) emergency flasher switch - 1
17) rpm tach - 1, expensive item!
18) kombi cockpit instrument - 1
19) light bulbs for locker and turn signals - 4
20) light bulb for rpm tach - 1
21) light bulbs for speedo, kombi cockpit instrument - 6 (or 7)

Before disconnecting the battery, I ran thru the blinker, wiper replays and note their locations.

Disconnect the battery.

I started the conversion with the alternator. For 24v, MB added resistors to the D+ and B+
terminals. These are mounted on the body next to the altenator. Takes these out and throw
them away. Trace the B+ terminal and note this to the 12v alt. The D+ terminal is insulated with ground wire mesh. Separate these and note the D+ to the 12v alternator also.

Next is the glow plug relay. Remove the resistor and throw it away. Ensure to replace the same
wire gauge to the new 12v relay. All other connectors should be the same.

Starter swap could be really fun as it involved removing the oil filter tubes. What a mess!
Easy swap but a real pain.

You are now at a point of no return. Here I was in a public garage. I couldnt leave my G
stranded for days and it would be difficult to get a tow truck into a garage 2nd floor if this
project was a failure due to broken or stubborn parts.

The next fun part is to replace the glow plugs. I got most tips from p3 Allister and AlanMcR
DIY. Easier said than done. I didnt want to strip or break the glow plug as I had no room
for failure. Having a magnetic pick up tool is a must. 3 out of 5 special nuts from the glow plug
that secure the wire came off and I was lucky enough to recover them all.

Reconnect your battery! First engine crank test. It worked. Dont worry about damaging
any electrical parts, it wont blow out or burn.

Start to replace exterior electrical parts. I replaced and tested as I went thru each major
components. I would save the horn for last. Note: the blinker relay will need enough juice
to run thru to get it to work. Dont bother testing it until u get all the bulbs and relay installed.

For interior electrical parts, I replaced the relays, interior lights and saved the instrument panel
swap for last.

Well, I didnt mention the heater blower. Its a big project so I skipped it for now. The blower
speed is now "super slow" and "slow" speed. I am ok with it.

Tip:
1) This is a good time to apply dielectric grease to all electrical connections.
2) I balanced between buying new and used parts to save $$$
3) Your 24v parts worth cash! Make sure you can work out a deal to trade in 24v for 12v parts
with your source.

Edited by autonovice 4/21/2011 6:44 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1