Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class DIY Forum : rear interior panel access/removal

Page 1 of 1 1
rear interior panel access/removal
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/5/2011 9:09 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
rear interior panel access/removal

Howdy folks, there's been talk recently about accessing the fuel lock motor and i was in there so for the sake of others, i took a picture of the rear panel that you'd have to remove to get at it.

Red circles are where there are trim retainer pieces that you have to Pop out to remove it. Since i didn't find it super obvious what to do to remove it, i figured i'd share it here. If you want to remove this panel you need to do the following:

(This assumes you're already removed the rear panel that's next to the rear door, which i have recently discussed before.)

1. if you have jump seats, remove them. To remove the seats, first undo the two little screws (one per side) that are near the bolts. This will allow you to slide the seat back up far enough to access all 8 bolts. Then remove all 8 bolts. Side note on reinstalling jump seats... I found it pretty easy strip/cross thread these 8 bolts so when re-installing i'd be tempted to get fresh hardware that's not self tapping. Also, don't tighten them down as you go... install all of them loose then tighten down. if you're having trouble one in, remove the others nearby and start with that tough one, the others will likely be easier to get in than it is. It's 6mm hardware. If you ruin it, you can tap out to 7mm. Not a common size, as in i'd be shocked if your hardware store had it, but taps, drills and hardward can be had at mcmaster.com

2. remove the seatbelt from the top mounting point. The seat belt clearance hole is pointed to with a blue arrow in the picture.

3 and 4 below may be doable in either order... can't remember

3. Pop the 4 rivets free holding the panel in place. (NOTE: YOU WILL NOT be able to get the bottom lowest portion of the panel free... it's held there by a lip, so it'll be the very last thing you do to lift it up, over and out. )

4. Pull the upper portion of the panel slightly towards you and (probably starting at the rear upper corner) pulling the panel away from the rubber trim that's wrapped all the way around the window. Use fingers or trim tool to help it along.

5. The panel should now be essentially free along the entire upper portion (but you'll likely notice that the lower edge is till stock some how).

6. Lift/slide the panel upwards, to free it from the lip which holds it in place at the lower edge.

Tada! You got it out.

Side note: ( if your fuel door lock motor is making loud grinding noises but still manages to get it unlocked and locked most of the time, then it's probably not totally busted... the casing may just have split apart (poor ultrasonic weld). Confirm nothin's broken inside and ziptie back together.

PSS. if you look really closely where the red circles are you'll see little white/silver dots. I put them there last time so when removing it (it's not the first time i've had this out) you know exactly where to focus when un-snapping and re-snapping the pop retainers.

Edited by ewalberg 6/5/2011 9:16 PM

(CIMG0079 (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CIMG0079 (Small).jpg (59KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1