Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class DIY Forum : DIY - Why Checking gap on a new sparkplug is important

Page 1 of 1 1
DIY - Why Checking gap on a new sparkplug is important
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 9/22/2013 11:43 AM
J.R.
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 00 G500, 09 911 4S, 11 Cayenne S, 86 280GE (sold)
DIY - Why Checking gap on a new sparkplug is important

I did this in 2005, posted to the old forum, which went by the wayside, so I thought I would share it once again.

Although I’ve never seen any official literature from a spark plug manufacturer that their plugs are pre-gapped to a specific number, I’ve noted over the years that the gaps were fairly consistent with the gap as listed on the box. Over the last few years I’ve noted that my manufacturer’s box no longer mentions a gap. In fact, some boxes go so far as to state that the plugs need to be gapped to the vehicles OEM specs. The plugs’ box used in this data sample, mention nothing about a plug gap, but the manufacturer’s web site does mention a recommended plug gap for my application (2000 G500) of 1.00mm.

Prudence would say that we should always check the gap before installation. What does the data say we should do? My technique was simple. I took a set of feeler gauges and measured the plug gap and recorded the data on the 16 plugs for my vehicle.

The bottom line recommendation is that even with plugs exceeding $10 each, the manufacturers are not able to deliver to the retail customer a pre-gapped plug so continue to recheck plug gap prior to installation. I intentionally did not mention the plug manufacturer’s name as it is my contention that the situation is true for all plug manufacturers.

Edited by J.R. 9/22/2013 11:44 AM

(Sparkplug data.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sparkplug data.jpg (27KB - 3 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1