Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Low voltage issues and questions.

Page 1 of 1 1
Low voltage issues and questions.
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/1/2020 11:52 PM
imjustdave
Regular

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2006 Ram 3500.
Low voltage issues and questions.

So I have a Winch on my G500 and I used it for a few min with the engine off...
I ran the winch with no load long enough to run out 100 feet of line and then long enough to move the G sideways maybe 2-3 feet with a double pull via a snatch block... So yes heavier electrical load then running out line but less load on a single line pull. After that I stopped using the winch, Winch motor did not slow down but I knew I needed power to start the G so I stopped using it.
The move was enough to get what I needed done.

So I went to start the motor and it attempted to engage the starter but then stopped. it maybe turned the motor 1/2 a pistons worth of rotation and it stopped. As most of us know the key is more like a push start and it seems to be computer controlled start VS basic power to starter.

So anyone know if the G needs X power to even TRY and start? VS slowly turning over the starter like we could all do with older cars and trucks?
Even after 30+ min of not using anything it did the same thing on trying to start.

I was able to jump it and it started up, I then winched myself back up the hill. About an hr later I needed to use the winch again but this time it was running and I saw the RED Low battery flash on the dash, Go to the dealer. I killed all other electrical loads and was able to rev up the motor some and cleared the area with the winch. At no time did the G run badly.
Now during this hr I was in the rig running but mostly stationary but I did have the fan on High as it was cold out..but it was an idle vs driving around. I was waiting watching others clear a nasty area.

Battery is a Northstar X2Power AGM battery maybe 2 years old. I intentionally replaced it to have capacity for the winch but I wasn't impressed. Almost scared now if i'm being honest.

One last thing during this time I noticed the lockers acting up as well, mostly falling out of lock, I was able to get then engaged again but it was a bad time to lose lockers.

SO is the G that picky on voltage?
Is the alternator adequate on the G?
Should I consider finding a higher output?

I will get the battery checked.
I didn't think the voltage was that low but I had no way to check.
Seriously considering installing a second battery for jumping as I was lucky to get that jump in the middle of the woods. Ideas?

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/3/2020 9:10 PM
J.R.
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 00 G500, 09 911 4S, 11 Cayenne S, 86 280GE (sold)
Re: Low voltage issues and questions.

Since you are rapidly deep discharging the battery, you probably should consider a second battery, or two, as primary for the winch and keep the starter battery separate.

For similar applications, I have used a marine battery isolator in 2 and 3 battery configurations. You just need to size the isolator for the max alternator output. I have have found that having the batteries all the same brand, model and size worked best but it is not a requirements. Just watch your cable sizing for the charging and discharge. You can get fancy with switches later on.
#242202 - in reply to #242198
Author
Posted 12/3/2020 11:01 PM
imjustdave
Regular

J.R. - 12/3/2020 6:10 PM

Since you are rapidly deep discharging the battery, you probably should consider a second battery, or two, as primary for the winch and keep the starter battery separate.

For similar applications, I have used a marine battery isolator in 2 and 3 battery configurations. You just need to size the isolator for the max alternator output. I have have found that having the batteries all the same brand, model and size worked best but it is not a requirements. Just watch your cable sizing for the charging and discharge. You can get fancy with switches later on.

I agree I'm already planning on adding another, battery.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the AGM needs a higher level of charging and I'm unsure if the G500 can even properly charge an AGM battery. This would actually mean the battery I have is about 50-60% charged so my draw killed it, because its well not really ever charged.
The G500 has an epic large battery and the draw I put on it wasn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

I have heard rumblings that you can make it charge a AGM just not sure how yet.

#242204 - in reply to #242202
Author
Posted 12/4/2020 11:43 AM
J.R.
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): 00 G500, 09 911 4S, 11 Cayenne S, 86 280GE (sold)

Never heard of an issue with AGM charging in the G500 series.

What does the winch owners manual say about amp draw and duty cycle? Want to share the winch model number and make?
#242215 - in reply to #242198
Author
Posted 12/4/2020 1:44 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: Low voltage issues and questions.

FYI

Next to the Positive Pole side of the battery (driver side) are the main fuses for the G500.

You would need to remove the battery to get to it. you can open the plastic case and see those large 100+ Amp fuses, and connections.

#242228 - in reply to #242198
Author
Posted 12/5/2020 7:40 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

Karl, do you still use the Odyssey PC1700T?
Would you recommend it for all G models?

The old thread:
http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.asp?tid=15583&st...
#242243 - in reply to #242228
Author
Posted 12/5/2020 11:41 PM
imjustdave
Regular

So preliminary info at the moment.

TLDR I'm trying some stuff, no results yet.

Longer version.

I have been digging into a few things. The alternator on my 2004 g500 is a Bosch 150 AMP part # 0 124 615 020 With Bosch Voltage Regulator(VR) : F 00M 145 340 per the few specifications I have found on this Voltage Regulator it's output is rated at 14V.

From what I have been able to find out AGM batteries want a 14.1-14.8 charging voltage example https://northstarbattery.com/faq odyssey doesn't have it so blatant and easy but I have found out on page 16 and 17 they call out 14.2 for automotive application and any basic charger less then 14.2 as useless and do not use.

So I just learned about the Dyno mode allows you to turn off all the ESP controls on the truck but the one useful thing for me today is Voltage display on the Dashboard. I haven't driven far sense I have been home but a quick run around the hood is 13.9 and a brief stint at 14.0V Which falls in line with the specs on the Voltage Regulator. But at rest engine off battery voltage is around 12 to 12.1 V even after being on the Nico charger and it saying 100%
When you look at SOC charts for AGM batteries 12V that gives me about 50% state of Charge.

So my thoughts are my battery has been under charged sense I installed it, but for typical running around and using it 12 V is plenty and when I used the winch I really killed it. Unfortunately I didn't have a voltage during that time I was running the winch but it was about 20-60 second of high draw amperage could have been 200-400 worth the pull was on a snatch block and the winch motor didn't strain and the G was on snow... Yes it was a bunch of draw but the size of the G battery isn't exactly small, and the whole entire point of the AGM is to have some reserve.

SO I have been talking to a local Alternator repair facility and the gentleman I'm working with is REALLY interested in helping me VS just trying to make a quick buck, we must have spent 20 min looking at options, there appears to be a 180 amp option that might bolt in but that means spending a lot more money,easily double and not sure I see an extra 30 amps being worth it and we would for sure have to modify the VR to work in the G and I feel I would need to consider wire upgrade. He also said we might look at John Deere options as well. Like I said we were looking at options and he was having fun with the dilemma and challenge.

Our current plan is to rebuild the alternator it has 133K miles on it, and install a new Voltage Regulator we have on order a Bosch F 00M 144 146 which has a rated output of 14.6V.

If the specifications we have are legit and the G doesn't derate the output the extra voltage should allow me to run an AGM in a better voltage range, then where I'm at right now. I suspect I will need a new battery as well. I should know more in the next 10 - 14 days.

FYI this thread is interesting and I'm getting my supplies from the same Wagner supplier

http://pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.asp?tid=13273&start=...
#242246 - in reply to #242198
Author
Posted 12/6/2020 4:59 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: Low voltage issues and questions.

Thank you David,

for posting your info.

I just looked at my spare regulator, which is a F 00M 145 382.

Please be so kind and let us know, how much voltage you get out of the updated alternator/regulator
#242248 - in reply to #242198
Author
Posted 12/6/2020 11:25 PM
Otiswesty
Administrator

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle(s): 463.241, 461.213

I wonder if one of the adjustable voltage regulators would work for the G500. I had one on my 1989 VW, and it was set to charge at 14.7 volts.
https://www.prancingmoose.com/AdjustableVoltage.html
#242249 - in reply to #242243
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1