Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : Unimog : 406 Unimog 20 speed trans shifting

Page 1 of 1 1
406 Unimog 20 speed trans shifting
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/18/2006 8:48 PM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
406 Unimog 20 speed trans shifting

I will have my new baby tomorrow and I have heard that shifting the 20 speed is almost an art.
Anyone have a run down on the steps on shifting one of these. I have also heard that shifting one wrong spells disaster
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/19/2006 10:32 PM
Brent
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI
RE: 406 Unimog 20 speed trans shifting

First thing to do is get an owners manual in english, unless of course you can read German then you can get one of those.

There is no real art to it. What you have is a six speed gearbox with two sets of crawler gears. You will likely never need any of the crawler gears. First gear in the standard range has approx 80:1 reduction. I start out in third, sometimes in fourth.

It is hard to describe until you are sitting there looking at all of the levers. You have the big stick for the main shifting. All the way back furthest right should be the forward/reverse selector. You can reverse in first or second, you can not shift past second without moving the selector to forward again. Ahead of that lever furthest right is the crawler gear range selector. Shifting it forward gets you down, one or two steps as needed. Then to actually engage the crawler gears, move left one selector, sort of in the middle, and push it forward to engage the crawler range you have selected. Back next to the 4wd and locker lever is the PTO engagement lever if your truck has PTO's. I think my truck has 6 shift levers, and if you have PTO's yours should as well.

I think the only pitfall to the operation is not engaging the crawlers at any speed above a crawl. You could definately hurt something. The lowest ratio gives you something like 350 ft per HOUR. It is time consuming to to watch

Enjoy the new toy!
#39477 - in reply to #39130
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1